Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

370 HP / 400 ft/lbs. torque for TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtn. burb, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Similiar torque to HT383 with more hp, but no warranty. Wonder what the compression ratio is? Anyone ever dealt with them before? Of course, I don't know enough about engines to feel comfortable ordering anything but GM, especially spending that kind of dough.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

looks like the added power is mostly due to the heads, they are sportsman II's
    i think the HT383 uses stocklike heads.

also noticed there dynosheet pic shows 450ftlbs of tq. from 2000 to 4000rpm. if thats correct thats pretty impressive.

4. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

where can i find dyno-sheets for a stock 305/350/454 TBI ? just to have something to compare with

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Of course, you know that you aren't just going to be able to bolt that in place and use it with the stock TBI setup. They don't mention that anywhere I see.

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I absolutely agree. I had thought of that, and am glad you made the point.

7. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

You probably could, couldn't you, it'd just starve and get no where close to it's potential. What would you use, bore out the manifold and a bored over 730 cfm BB TBI, but with which injectors?

8. dyeager535

You'll more than likely end up burning pistons. There is a post where someone did exactly that.

As setup, the stock TBI won't support the fuel demands of engines like that, and they run lean, especially during heavy throttle.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

A little off topic, but what's your opinion on putting a 350 throttle body like the turbocity one that's bored over to 1 13/16 and they say flows about 625 cfm on a HT 383. I've been told that's enough to feed it, but what's your opinion d'?

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

They're already providing the intake manifold. I expect that you would use a BBC or aftermarket throttle body with bigger injectors and a new chip in the stock computer. You might also need a bigger fuel pump and/or a new pressure regulator.

Either they have some setup they've used to verify the numbers are they are full of poo-poo

11. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That's severely overpriced.... honestly, don't you people use the internet. =)

http://350chevys.com/350_tbi_stage_2.htm , 3 models, max is 365hp 428 ft lbs of torque.... all for under $3000.00 and if they assemble it, they upgrade you to a 2 year 24000 mile warranty for free... additional year of warranty is 100.00, and shipping from Colorado to me in Wisconsin was $225.00. Not a bad deal... of course, I bought the stage 1 carb version, but I still have insane power and torque.

Of course, there is always the fuel injected version... http://350chevys.com/new%20page%201.htm 440hp 455ft lbs of torque, but it's $8500+

12. dyeager535

As mentioned above, it's not all just the throttlebody. Injectors, fuel pump, PROM, all need to work with the engine.

13. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

How long ago did you swap it in? How's customer service? Know anyone else that bought from them, too? Have you dynoed yours to see what it's actually putting out? Sounds like a great deal. Almost to good to be true.

14. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure the engine supplier would have the appropriate chip available to support the motor. The 388 that we put in my 94 Sub has the stock tbi with a chip. The heads are stock, but the bowls are blended with good Manley ss valves. I don't know what cam was used, but the engine builder had Howell do the chip. The motor pulls really hard, but the drawback is getting something like this to smog. I live in Illinois and when I tried to get this through the test, it failed. So, I came back the next day with the stock chip in it and it passed. No power and I was aftraid I'd burn a piston, but it turned out not to be a problem

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's severely overpriced.... honestly, don't you people use the internet. =)

http://350chevys.com/350_tbi_stage_2.htm , 3 models, max is 365hp 428 ft lbs of torque.... all for under $3000.00 and if they assemble it, they upgrade you to a 2 year 24000 mile warranty for free... additional year of warranty is 100.00, and shipping from Colorado to me in Wisconsin was $225.00. Not a bad deal... of course, I bought the stage 1 carb version, but I still have insane power and torque.

That's a heck of a deal. Are they using a stock TBI on this engine? Wonder what it would make with 10-1 compression and some better heads?

16. PhoenixZorn

I'm actually still waiting on it... the customer service rocks though... I called them when they were supposedly closed for shop remodelling, they took my order, painted the block red to match the truck, asked me if I wanted anything else on it, and guaranteed shipment in 2 days after my call. It takes 5 days to deliver to Wisconsin, and it's expected to be here tomorrow. I'll get it dyno'd when I have time, but I expect it to put out slightly more than its rated at because they rate them with small tube headers and a holley 600 carb... I just got the headers yesterday, it was like Christmas when I went to the shop... The carb is on the way, and I should be able to drive it home Saturday or Monday.

17. PhoenixZorn

I don't think it's stock anything... they take 15 days to manufacture a completely custom engine... and they will build to suit. The prices and performance ratings are amazing.

Anyone else call them yet? I'd like to hear if you guys think as highly of them as I do.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  18. PhoenixZorn

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Which TBI do they use?

20. PhoenixZorn

3 choices...

1. Factory GM TBI
    2. Edelbrock Performer TBI
    3. Torker 2 TBI

On the Stage 1 TBI you can only get the Factory GM TBI, but if it's puting out 295-330hp and 395-417 ft lbs of torque (depending on your model selection) with a factory TBI... imagine what it would do with an aftermarket one.