Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

377 Chevy Small Block, how much power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Jun 19, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

im at work and talkin to the mechanics when one of them says i should take my 400 and drop a 350 crank and rods in it to create a 377, he said it has tremendous power and everything, I was just wondering if anyone had one of those and wat kinda power they were making outta them?

phill

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question some time ago and almost everybody told to not do this. A 377 has good high end power but for a truck you really want low end torque so you would be better of keeping it a 400 unless you are into dragracing your truck.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

these are used on sprint cars. they have a very short stroke, but are high revving engines. id say leave it the way it is and just supp it up a lil.

NITRO

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A standard bore 350 block with a 400 crank is also a 377...

Rene

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

true, but which one was he referring to?

NITRO

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, yeah.../forums/images/icons/blush.gif The 350 version would be a torquer similar to the 383 which was the only reason I mentioned it.

Rene

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

(all-most) Nothing replaces displacment. Build the 400.

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya im building the 400, right now its gonna get a Fuel Injection kit(most likely Edelbrock), hyperutectic(sp?) pisons, new cylinder heads w/ big valves and most likely ported, and a comp cams 4x4 cam, that should do me some good.

phill

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Consitter a 415 Stroker kit for your 400 cid sbc. I belive you can get one through www.worldcastings.com , I know you can get it elseware, but World Products is who I've delt with befor and I don't know who else has it.World Products part # 216-86007 with 64cc heads it'll give you 9.5 to 1 compression. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I recomened a dual-plain intake manifold for the lower end torque. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Actually the 377 (short stroke) isn't so much a "higher-rev'er", but breathes better for all engine speeds. Thus has more RPM potential, and will produce more power at higher RPMS.
    A 383 (long stroke) motor isn't so much a "torquer" either. It's breathing limited, and thus produces most of it's power lower in the RPM band.

Now this is all engine theory and you can make a 383 rev n' rip, but I think you will find the 377 produces more "efficient" power.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

See my previous reply, I added some information. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif