Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

377 Destroked question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Jan 20, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok like the title says I need to get all the info on this kind of engine. I know you need a 400sbc and I think a 350 bottom end but what else -Crank clearance? Piston size? rod size? and special things you gotta do? And what kinda HP and Torque to these monsters create. Anyone done this or have links for info. Thanks again
    Spence

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In order to even guess as to the power you're going to produce, we'll need to know how you're intending on building the engine.

Common setup would be stock sized 400 pistons with 350 rods and crank, I would think.

This particular build isn't very popular with the truck crowd but I'm sure there's people here that know more than me on it. I've never de-stroked an engine myself, I'm a torque junkie. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My personal suggestion to you is to leave the 400 a 400, but that's just my opinion.

3. CaveBlazin

Been doing some research on it and the torque is not so good so I think I'll just stick with the 383 build but I have a 400 I need to sale now hehehe..

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with Tim 100%. I have a 400 myself in my K5 and I can tell you that you would enjoy the full torque potential that no other small block can match with a 400.

To build a 377 you need a special 350 crank with 400 journals because the 2 blocks do not share the same size journals. Pistons would just be a regular 400 piston with maybe a special wrist pin depending on the rods used. A seriously hardcore 377 with a complete Scat or Callies bottom end with a roller cam and excellent heads could probably turn close to 8 to 9,000 RPM in the right racing circumstances depending on rod length and a few other details I don't fully understand yet. HP numbers would be very high but torque would seriously hurt.

I would love to have a 377 in a small 69' camaro where it's a vehicle that is light and the HP has a chance to really come alive and not need a lot of torque to get the car moving. It would be one fast top end camaro! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Put that same baby in my 5,300lbs K5 turning heavy boggers and 4.10 gears and it is going to bog hard from lack of torque. Torque is the name of the game in our truck hobby my friend...horsepower is the name of the game with going fast in light cars. I think you know where I'm going.

If I were you and have the cash to destroke/stroke than I would build a stroker 434ci. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 4" crank in a 400 block bored .030" over. That thing would rip in a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I originally planned to stroke my 406 to 434 but ran out of money and stuck with the 406. I love it and I can outrun any 350 built like mine and especially towing. It's got the torque of my 454 that is in my C30 but has the horsepower and quick acceleration of a small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Been doing some research on it and the torque is not so good so I think I'll just stick with the 383 build but I have a 400 I need to sale now hehehe..

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You will be much happier with a 383 rather than a 377 in a truck.

To build a 377, you need aftermarket 377 pistons, 350 crank, bearing spacers and 350 rods. No special crank is needed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

377's are purely high RPM motors, not the best for a DD 4X4. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CaveBlazin

Yeah just found out as well those are the best for our riggs so guess I'll just stick with the plan I last posted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks all!!!

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    No special crank is needed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] you just love nit- picking at me don't you. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif A 350 crank with 400 journals is best and that IS a special crank in my head because it isn't stock or even all that common in aftermarket parts either.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    No special crank is needed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] you just love nit- picking at me don't you. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif A 350 crank with 400 journals is best and that IS a special crank in my head because it isn't stock or even all that common in aftermarket parts either.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he's trying to say is that they make bearing spacers to install such a crank, or you can also buy extra thick bearings so that you won't need the spacers.

Either way, thanks for pointing out the difference in mains, I'd almost forgotten that a 400 has bigger journals on the mains.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

What he's trying to say is that they make bearing spacers to install such a crank, or you can also buy extra thick bearings so that you won't need the spacers.

[/ QUOTE ] I just notice him qouting something i said whenever there is a motor thread and telling me i'm wrong or about something,sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not, just annoying./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Either way, thanks for pointing out the difference in mains, I'd almost forgotten that a 400 has bigger journals on the mains.

[/ QUOTE ] If I was building a 377 I know I wouldn't use thick bearings or spacers... I would use my phone and order up a 350 crank with 400 journals. Stuff like that would always be in the back of my head whenever I punched the throttle.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If I was building a 377 I know I wouldn't use thick bearings or spacers... I would use my phone and order up a 350 crank with 400 journals. Stuff like that would always be in the back of my head whenever I punched the throttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thick bearings are not another failure point, they're just as good as having a different crank, they just cost more and probably have to be ordered.

If I was building a 377.....

Nah screw that, I see no point in making an engine smaller and losing cubes and torque unless you've got to do it for some racing class. For street use it's counterproductive.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know of any 377 cranks? The only way that I know of to get a crank with 2.65" mains and a 3.48" stroke is to have one custom made.

The most common way to make a 377 is to use bearing spacers, not a "special" crank.

I am not nit-picking you, just making sure that correct information is presented in the forums. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Do you know of any 377 cranks? The only way that I know of to get a crank with 2.65" mains and a 3.48" stroke is to have one custom made.

The most common way to make a 377 is to use bearing spacers, not a "special" crank.

I am not nit-picking you, just making sure that correct information is presented in the forums. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah i have a scat catolog around here some place and I remember there being a list of production cranks and the 3.48 stroke and 400 journal crank in there someplace. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I will look for it.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are aftermarket cranks with 400 mains in 3.48 stroke available.

If you can dream it, someone has probably already built it, and is selling the parts for your dream SBC.

There is pretty much nothing that hasn't been done with an SBC yet, and nearly all of it is available just by calling and ordering it.

I personally want to build a 4" bore 4" stroke small block one day, I think that'd be cool. No time in the near future though.

That'd be the "truck fun" 400 SBC.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally want to build a 4" bore 4" stroke small block one day, I think that'd be cool. No time in the near future though.

That'd be the "truck fun" 400 SBC.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A square motor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif a 4.155 bore with a 4" stroke is a 434ci. It's a beast that thinks it's a mean big block. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have seen one built with a 6-71 blower on top of it. It was in an 84' shortbed reg. cab chevy 1/2 ton with a D60/70 combo. It had paddle tires for Pismo and boggers for the street. It was nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

IIRC, 377 was an idea to fit into certain classes of drag racing that limit cubic inches.

16. rjfguitar

It's kind of like a big 327. Right?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It's kind of like a big 327. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, yeah. But some classes only allowed say 380 cubic inches. So, naturally, the huge bore/short stroke of a 377 fits there, where sustained high RPM is the order of the day.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If someone had a mind to do it, aftermarket blocks are cast with 400 bores and 350 or 400 mains.

I agree with the keep it a 400 or bigger for a truck.

In no way was Ben picking on you, just stating facts. You may be in a position next year to build that 377" Camaro, and will remember this thread. In fact, I bet you never forget the nudge in the right direction.

Thanks Ben for clarifying things a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

In no way was Ben picking on you, just stating facts. You may be in a position next year to build that 377" Camaro, and will remember this thread. In fact, I bet you never forget the nudge in the right direction.

Thanks Ben for clarifying things a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually I was right. There is 350 cranks out there with 400 mains. It is personal preference if they are "special" cranks to you or not. And thank you for reminding me about aftermarket blocks. Beast is right that spacers and thick bearings exist but not that production 377" cranks don't.
    I think I was already "headed in the right direction."

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Actually I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    To build a 377 you need a special 350 crank with 400 journals

[/ QUOTE ]
    As I stated above, no you don't. So who was right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    There is 350 cranks out there with 400 mains.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is an aftermarket crank with a 3.50" stroke (not a 350's 3.48") and 2.65" mains considered a 350 crank? Not according to Scat. (380 cid)

[ QUOTE ]

I think I was already "headed in the right direction."

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you confer with your "mechanic/engine builder" I'll just build my engines myself! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Crap....I might have been nit-picky again! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif