Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

37x12.50 Radial Goodyear Hummer tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Nov 18, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about these? They are not the MT/R. I believe this is the new style that comes on Hummers. I've been thinking about getting a set because they can be had for fairly cheap. Do they provide much traction? Anyone have a pic of them under their rig? I'm mainly just looking for a temporary tire to last to last till next spring, but I need something that I can wheel as well.

[​IMG]

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My buddy put a set on his Burb last week. They seem to be great for the sand, but not sure what else. The military uses them specifically for the sand.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i have them on my truck---i bought them because they were damn cheap---to be honest w/ you the work pretty wellin the rocks too--they havea stiff sidewall but the do grab. sand is pretty good too---i had them at the recommended psi and the rode like a$$--aired them down to 20 and the ride real; nice---even w/ no balance.---the only thing i dont like is the rim size---im scared to air down any further. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

We use them on the Hummers, it's supposed to be the new tire replacing the old bias ply Wrangler. As far as I'm concerned they do pretty well on all terrain, rocks, sand, & mud. I air my 16.5 Super Swampers down to 20psi all the time so I wouldn't worry about it too much. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it's supposed to be? i thought the military has been using these tires for years on hummers. i have seen the old wranglers you're talking about. they pull damn good in the mud around here.

6. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Where would someone find a set of these tires for realy cheap? What rim do they use? 16.5x8?

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

So which is the better overall tire? The old hummer in a 36 or the new hummer in a 37? They are both the same price and I need a set real soon.

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I got a set of four for 125 $ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif pretty worn out .

9. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

A friend just picked up a surplus set, but they're still sitting in his garage. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If he puts 'em on anytime soon, I'll get back to you with info/pics.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

the old 36's wear out faster, but they have a lot of tread when they're new. the 37's, from what i have read in magazines, pull really well and have decent mileage. i've never seen anyone around here running them though. i might just have to set another trend around here with the 37's like i did with Baja Claws.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm almost convinced on trying them. I just have to decide which tire to get.

12. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

These are the original Goodyear Wrangler MT that had been out for years and years and was replaced by the MT/R, so they definitely are not a "new" tire. The Hummers originally came with a 36" Wrangler R/T bias ply and then the radial MT started replacing them years ago, though there are still quite a few Hummers running around with the older R/T's.

14. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

those are not new we have been using them since the early 90's but we are getting ready to start using the mtr's on hummers! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

By new I meant newer then the old 36" style, not brand new. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you can get them HERE for 50 bucks apiece plus shipping.im getting the 36 bias ply tires.they grip a whole lot better but dont ride as nice as the radials.but in a lifted blazer what kind of ride do you really expect.the tires are 1/2 inch of tread or better when you buy from the 6x6 guy.thats 10 percent more rubber than most mud tires give you stock which is usually only 18/32 of tread new.at this price you can afford to buy a new set every year.when i was driving hummvees in the army we ran bias mostly which is the 36 and they gripped really nice in the rocks and sand.they are directional in both sides of the tread so you get good grip forward and reverse.just my .02 and check it out

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Heres a picture of a set of the 37's on 16.5x9.75 wheels on my friend's Suburban . He entered a local mud race with them and they seemed to do fairly well. They did ok in winter, too. These got stolen and he replaced them with a set of the 36" Bias Ply's which did horrible in the winter and wore out really fast on the road, but did fairly well in the mud .

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would get the radials. i ran the 36" bias and they were a bit disappointing. the 37" were (are) the choice for rocks for awhile (still?) and they are not great. the flat suck in clay-mud. really bad. in a not good way.

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I spent almost 8yrs off roading with both tires (on hummers). I like the bias ply for a dedicated offroad tire.
    The main problem I had with the bias ply was when the road of the tire is coupled with the rattle of a 6.2/6.5 it's hard to drive across the street without getting sleepy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    The radial however is a good tire and I cant say that I ever got stuck because I had the radials and not the bias ply. In fact I also plan to purchase a set of the radials and the bias ply.

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

damn mountaine, your post looks like one of my english papers after my professor has attacked it with a red pen, only you're using blue.