Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

37x13.5x17 with 4" lift and D60/14B

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Whitey, Nov 30, 2005.

1. 87Whitey

87Whitey Registered Member

Alright guys, I had posted earlier on my 10/12 build and everyone talked me into the D60/14 combo. I pick them up this weekend from a guy in one of the local clubs I know.
    Now my original intent was to go 35's with the upgrade drivetrain, however in reading through many of the postings here, I think I would be better off with 37's to compensate for the ground clearance with the larger 14bolt. I am going to use some 4" HDs up front and plan to trim a good bit in the front, it looks like several people have done the same setup to keep the lower COG.

I plan to use the black rock crawler rims in a 17x8 (to ensure clearance on the 14 and 60 rotors) and a ProComp Xtreme A/T 37x13.5x17.
    Should I go with a 16.5 config? seems like more tires are available in the 36 + range in 16.5 than 17. The only thing I see is the advantage is the 17" safety rim bead. Price for tires and wheels are fairly close so I want to make sure I make the right technical choice.

Thanks
    Steve

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the setup (suspension and tire) that I will get to sometime in the near future. I haven't decided on wheel size (I have 16's now), but the 17's look to be what I prefer at the moment...

The 35's are a little too small with the 14 bolt. Shaving will help.

3. 87Whitey

Thanks Mouse...how are things up in MT I am a WY native...moved to TX to make a few bucks but wanna get back up to MT/WY

FYI I forgot to add I am also considering a 16" wheel, there a a few guys around that have some 37"x12.5 16" around for good deals on 90%+ tread.
    What would be the optimal backspacing using a 8" rim, I like'm tight :-)
    4.25" or
    3"

Thanks for the help

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Go with the 4.25. I have 10 inch wide with 4.25 back spacing, and the front is too wide for most trailers, and is wide on the trails.

I bet you don't miss MT/WY today...high of around 10 degrees here, and we've had almost 20 inches of snow since Saturday...

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I second shaving the 14 bolt. Very easy to do. There is a thread in the tech section that takes you through it in a step by step process.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Make sure you shave the 14. Unless you want to run H1 wheels use the 16 or 17s.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

tires are being faded out for the 16.5's. slowly but it is happening. 17's are taking the place of 16.5 but tires are not as plentifull yet. honestly i think the 17's are being faded out already. 18's are moving in fast and im thinking thats going to be the way to go.

grant

8. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

imo, safety beads are overrated.

9. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

You must think aproach angles are overrated as well. Is that a snow plow you're wheelin with or your bumper?:haha: Just giving you a hard time that's all:p:

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

16 or 17 are fine. If you run 14FF discs 17" wheels are a plus, IMO. If you want a sweet addition for the 14, buy a razorback diffcover from DIY4X, the bottom of the cover is already set up for a shaved 14bolt. I used it as a guide this weekend when doing my swap.
    Where in Dallas are you??

11. 87Whitey

Thanks for the help guys
    I ended up going with the 16.5 since I got a really sweet deal on (4) Goodyear RT II's - brand new and (4) with about 90% tread.

Leper - I am in Carrollton

I have been looking at the rear disk brackets DIY has, I look at the diff cover they offer as well

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Lets see em when you get them on the truck!

13. blank

blank Registered Member

Hey gang

I might be a little behind in the new technology on wheels but I thought that you could not go bigger than a 16.5" inch wheel when offroading because of the tire would come off the rim. Is there a rim bigger than 17" now that keeps that from happening?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

In general half inch size rims do not have a safty bead.