Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

38.5 x 16 vs. 39.5 x 15 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rpm35, Sep 11, 2003.

1. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I finally can afford to buy some tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think I'm going with swampers in the 38-39 range. I want ether 38.5 x 16 or 39.5 x 15. The only thing is hear in MT most of my wheeling is done in deep snow. I need the tire that will give the biggest footprint when aired down. What do you guys/gals think?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you could also go with the new irok 39.5x13.5x16 that will be my next tire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you go to Interco's website, you'll find that the 38.5x16 has the same tread width (13") as the 39.5x15, and in reality the 38's case section is only .1" wider than the 39. So there's your answer right there, if you want footprint the 39 is it for you. Hope you're running 1 ton junk! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do you plan on buying new tires every year Shannon? The tread depth on the IROK is considerably less than the TSL and the rubber is probably even softer...

They may be great off road (So is a TSL) but I think they would be worn in half the time.

Rene

5. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I will be running 1 ton by the time I get the tires. It looks like I will go with the 39's since they give the best footprint. Thanks for the help.

6. mudhog

well that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i want a bigger tire but have 16in rims /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think without any real data, there is no way to say how these tires will wear. Put it this way - I have had mine since April and they haven't hardly worn at all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But, my rig is not a daily driver and lately I haven't been on the trail but a few times. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think if you are looking for a tire that works well in snow, you should not look at anything other than a TrXus STS. But, sounds like you need a tire that is multi-tasking. What is the best "All around tire"? Not real sure - who has tested a tire for all types of terrain?

Back on the IROK issue - I mentioned in a previous post, Interco built these tires for Rockcrawling not driving down the highway. So, tread wear (the way most people wear out tires) is a non issue. If you are wheeling every weekend - it probably doesnt matter which tire you select, youre bound to wear it out.

Tire selection is so controversial to people who do not know the facts. Interco builds every model of tire for a purpose. You wouldnt mount up a set of drag slicks (Interco does make them) all the way around your truck, then claim they wear too fast on the highway. Same as you wouldnt use a set of TrXus STS tires for Mud.

The reason for the lower tread depth on the IROK is to save weight. Rockcrawling rigs need to be as light and strong as possible and saving weight on the tires not only saves overall weight, it lowers the stress on the drivetrain. Wear is not a factor in a competition tire. When it wears out, you buy a new set.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Shannon, you need to look into the XMLs, they come in a 39 for a 16" rim. You can get them surplus for cheep too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They are a bit narrow though, but with the lift you're running I don't imagine you'll want a wide tire.</font>

9. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I do need a good all around tire. That's why I decided on the TSL. The STS wouldn't provide the tration I need for non-winter wheeling. I have seen TSL's used in just about all types of terrian. I just can't use a skinny one because the snow gets so deep that you can bury a rig on 44's up to the frame and the tires still won't touch the ground.

10. mudhog

how wide are they? do you have any links for them? what is the tread type? how much do they run for a 39 or bigger?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Damn, just closed the page... OK, the XML is the widest of the 3 tires that Michelin has in this category, 12.9 inches wide and 38.7" tall. Maximum speed is listed as 62mph, but with the light weight of a K5 on a load range D tire, you'd surely be fine going faster. Another benefit is the tread compound, these things apparantly wear like iron on a light truck, but the bad part of that is they don't flex very well unless you groove them.

Pic -

[​IMG]

Here's a link to all of the tires they have for off-road, most come in a 16" flavor, and some can be found used for under $200 each, sometimes way under. Contact johns351c on PBB...
    http://www.michelintruck.com/tires/images/head_offroad.gif
    </font>

12. mudhog

very cool thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about the XL's? Are they a decent tire. A little on the skinny side for the 16" rim, but still. $200 a tire for the XML's? What kind of milage would you expect out of that tire? Sorry for hijacking, but I've never seen these tires before and they look like something that could be a big possibility for me. Thanks!

Kris

14. tRustyK5

Well put Neil,

I wasn't trying to come across like I had any first hand info on the IROK's, just drawing some possible conclusions based on the info I do have. I know Shannon drives his truck on the street a fair bit, as do I. In my opinion I think the IROK's would probably wear out faster than a TSL.

If I ever go to a trail only vehicle I'd certainly try them out, they look like they'd work very well off road.

The bottom line is I can't afford to replace my tires every year. I hope to get 3 years out of my TSL's...

Rene

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

www.dollartire.com has the Michelins used sometimes. They supposedly last forever.

I'm with you, Rene. I want to buy a new set of Swampers too, but I'm afraid I'll be pissed off when they wear out the first year. At $1000 a set, I can't afford that.

16. tRustyK5

$2004.00 Cdn for a set of 4 15/39.5x15 TSL's. I'm looking at the invoice right now.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That's cash and carry...still have to get them mounted.

Rene

17. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do need a good all around tire. That's why I decided on the TSL. The STS wouldn't provide the tration I need for non-winter wheeling. I have seen TSL's used in just about all types of terrian. I just can't use a skinny one because the snow gets so deep that you can bury a rig on 44's up to the frame and the tires still won't touch the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

the michelin xml is a good tire that will last forever you just have to air them down more than a regular tire. have you looked at the baja claws? I run a set of 38.5-16x16 on beadlocks its the widest footprint you can get in that style of tire I use mine for rock sand and snow and they work great.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Either your dollar is worth a little more than 1/2 what ours is or you got raped!

I've emailed Dollar Tire as to the cost of purchasing and shipping a set of Michelin XLs. Maybe if the price is right and we order enough sets, they'll get us a good price on them. I've been meaning to attempt getting a set for my truck for a long time (even before I knew they used them on HEMMTs and 5 ton trucks!). Someone clued me into that site in 1999!

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

$2004 CDN = $1470 US. A little on the pricey side, but it costs money to get the things to Canada too.

20. tRustyK5

That is after all taxes and enviro levy's. 7% sales tax, 7.5% federal tax...

Total cost before tax's was $1751.16, or $1259 USD.

My alternative was to get them in WA state and bring them back but WA state has an 8 or 8.5% taxI'd pay on the purchase plus F.E.T. plus bringing them through customs I'd pay my own sales tax and Genral tax on top of it all. At the very most I'd save under $100 cdn for my trouble. It wasn't worth it.

The place I bought them got them in for me in under a week...pretty good service and the price, although it looks high to you, was very competitive.

You wanna play...you're gonna pay./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene