Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 1 Piece Rear Main Flexplate, help me find one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm having a hard time locating a 1 piece rear main flexplate for my 383. It is externally balanced. I need one to get my balance work done. Summit's new site is useless.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

This is the only one I've found so far. Not liking the $85. I don't need a freaking SFI approved one, its just a rockcrawler.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=45247&prmenbr=361

Alright answered my own crap
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7963764974&category=33616&sspagename=WDVW
    $40 is sweet but I don't know if I can wait that long on shipping. Have to decide quick. I'll probably end up buying one through the shop doing my work.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

ALL 1 pcs RMS flywheels and flexplates are externally balanced.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dude 1 piece 383 cranks are a dime a dozen. Eagle makes them almost as much as they do 2 piece ones. Not all 383s are cut down 400 cranks, aftermarkets do make specific 383 cranks you know. My crank cost me like $175, what an amount of money to blow :rolleyes:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually no, its not.

YUP!

actually, its not any more expensive to build a 383 off of a 1pc RMS block anymore, crank prices are comparable.

in 85 when they ditched the 2pc RMS, they also lost the ability to easily internally balance the engine as the 86+ sealing surface does not allow metal to be added or removed, so the flywheel/flexplate have to carry the weight.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just bought a balance plate, thanks guys.

And the reason for ther 2 piec block for me is factory roller camshaft setup and I had the block.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you're running a 1pc RMS crank, not only do you not need the balancing plate, it physically wont fit, the bolt circle is different. you cannot buy a neutral balanced 1pc RMS flywheel or flexplate, they are ALL counterweighted.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep Beater_K20 is correct. When the 1 piece RMS came out all SBC's were externally balanced on the rear of the crank but not the front. I built a 383 using the 1 piece RMS and when i had it balanced it was a minimal amount of work to balance it using the factory flexplate.