Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 buildup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Feb 12, 2007.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing I noticed is that they fall into the all too common "throw a part at an engine, dyno it, then throw another part on, dyno, etc".

They should have done back to back cam swaps with the same heads, and tested the same cam with different heads, etc.

On top of that, doesn't seem to be much of a daily driver motor at 92 octane. Not to mention the fact they were using it with old school heads, when it might have made more power with 89 octane (for instance) with the vortec heads.

That's what I see from a cursory skimming.

3. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

They used several different types of heads. The Trick Flows made the most power.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It looks like a good build idea to follow. There choice of cam is different then what you will need for a truck & the compression ratio is a little high. With a little less compression you should be able to get away with 87 or 89 octane. With a set heads like Vortecs or Trick Flows you should be able to pump out some good power.

My personal build would be simple like theres. 4 bolt main 350 machined for 383 parts. The spin balanced crank & rods is a great idea. 9.5:1 ish compression ratio, Vortec heads, aluminum Vortec to carb manifold, roller rockers, good 4x4/truck grind cam. MSD ignition components & Thorley tri-y headers. It should provide some decent grunt & be reliable. For a carb I would run a pro-built Q-jet or Holley Truck Avenger since it might see some offroading. I know you are looking for some good power in this truck so my build idea may not have quite enough grunt for what you want.

This is assuming you want to stay with a carb. I am planning someday to put a moderate 383 under my TPI setup which should give me some nasty lowend. My "300HP" crate motor with my TPI has WAY more nasty lowend & much better throttle response then it ever did with a carb & MSD.

The other answer for some good reliable power is Big Block.

Harley

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read that years ago when I was looking at building one.

Here is what I would recommend.

spin balanced rotating assembly( well worth the extra $150)
    dart iron eagle head 64cc (fast burn design) by the time you modify vortecs they cost almost the same
    9 to 9.5 to 1 pistons
    comp cams 4x4 extreme #3 grind
    good dual plane intake and headers

I can tell you that I never had my motor on the dyno but it pulls hard up to around 5000rpm and still is mild enough for rock crawling and sit you back in the seat when you leave the stop lights. I have 39.5's and 4.88's

6. FWP

FWP CRS