Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 Clearancing, how to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 26, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone done this themselves? I've been talking to the shop about my 383 project lately and the guy was kind of encouraging me to do it. Hes a family friend and knows my passion for cars and wanting to do what he does, he said its easy it just takes time. So does anyone have a how to guide on it? Mainly just want to see some pictures of what needs to be clearance. As I understand, some under the cylinder walls, cam clearance to rod bolt, pan rail to rod clearance.

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

u pretty much just stated exactly whats involved. or you could spend some bucks and get a new 383 stroker crank from jegs or summit and knock the clearancing to rod bolts only i believe. Just google it, im sure theres tons of tech articles out there.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have a new Eagle crank. I was looking around, I'll keep looking, thanks.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

drop the crank in the bare block, rotate it, grind where necesary. same with the rod bolts, assemble it, grind as required. then have everything cleaned and balanced.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doh I dropped the stuff off for balancing already. Have to go pick everything up on Monday all over again.

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I also would like to see this info. I was gonna build a 383 but could not find any info on the clearancing aspect of the build. I am looking for photos or illustrations of what where and how much to grind. Can you take pics for me ?
    I was going to do like Beater k20 says but if I had pics and or somebodys first hand know how I be in great shape. What pistons do you have , Whats the rest of your parts list look like ?

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I'll have the bottom of mine open in a couple days, I'll get some pics for you. It's a 1 pc block also. I didn't do the clearancing, and I'm not pulling the rotating assembly (just re-sealing pan), but I'll get as good of pics as I can.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Right on ! Thanks !

9. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i put mine together my self and had to take it back apart several times to get it rite . just drop your crank in and install the rods and pistons dont put on the rings just drop them in. and turn it the engine over and mark where it hits on each cyl. thats what i did and take a ziz wheel with a grinding bit and grind out the spots where it hits, it dont take much. on the block just be sure to throughley clean it after each grind . i caught hell doing mine after i got it back from the machine shop but i can say i am very happy with it after 35k of hard miles on mine

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go look at www.Goodson.com page 136. They sell a tool that takes all the guess work out of doing this exact thing.

11. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Easy tip for clearance. Use a nylon zip tie as a feeler gauge. Its flexable and won't scratch anything as you try to shove it through. The one I use is about 10 inches long and 1/8 of an inch wide.
    George

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Beast 388 has a recent picture of his rotating assembly that shows the clearance work he performed on his 388....I forgot to save the pic or I would post it up....

I am sure he would be happy to share....