Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 engine kit: why wont it work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Jul 18, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im finally looking seriously into building a 383, however, neither of the kits ive seen so far are for anything past 85, why is this, i have an 87 stock, this is the kit http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=1674 and i like it and the price alot, but it wont work for my engine, why? and can i ask them to simply change a few things in the kit, or am i sol? if i am, can i buy just an 85 block, build it with all my 87 parts, and swap it in?? and another thing, where can i get a new flywheel and a harmonic dampner (i think thats what its called) and about how much are they, thanks for all your help, all is welcomed, and talk as if i were retarded, it seems to help /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

Most 383 kits are made to work with the old 2 piece rear main seal cranks. Your 87 block is a 1 piece rear main. The older blocks are stronger anyways.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

4. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

The kit I am going to use is from power house, www.enginekits.com. they say they can do both 2 peice rear main seel and 1 peice. Plus I like these prices too.

I am going with the cast crank but going to have the whole thing blue printed and mic'd out to specks. tired of engine trouble going to have it built not assembled /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif