Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 oil pan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, Jan 5, 2006.

1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

I got my bottom end put together today and torqued it all down, and then I put my oil pan on. The crank hits the pan:doah: . I think you can hammer it out. can anyone give me any input. and what is the difference between a 350sb and 400sb oil pan. I work at parts store part time and we do not list an oil pan for a 400sb.

by the wq=ay on a different note I have a bit of info for you guys this may be old news but I am going to throw it at you all anyway. mellings part # m155 is an oil pump for the 97 and up vortec 350. this pump uses a 5/8 pick up tube hole instead of a 3/8 like the m55 pumps. it bolts in and works. this will increase the volume of oil flow but only increases the pressure less the friction loss of the smaller diameter hole. you can also get this pump in hv.:D
    oh you have to use the steel shaft with steel bushing and pin with this pump.

2. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

Wow that is funky the 400 has the same pan a 350 would use my 400 has a 305 pan on

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've been told you can work the pan over with a hammer to get the clearance needed. I went ahead and put a Milodon pan on for the clearance and the extra capacity.

4. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

I'm running a Canton deep sump on mine -- works fine. I also run the tall oil filter for the extra filtering capacity. Except with all that and my addiction to Mobil 1, I spend about $40 just in oil for each change. Such is the nature of our folly, I guess...

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I used a hammer to "persuade" my stock 350 oil pan to fit my 388. You will do most of the clearancing along the mounting flange. I also had to slightly modify the baffling inside and dimple the area on the bottom toward the front of the motor where the pan gets close to the rotating assembly.:D

6. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Check out http://www.champpans.com/ and look at their wet sump pans. I used a CP60LT on a 434 small block to clear a 4" stroke. I was impressed by the quality and fair price. I'd call and see if a CP40 would work for you, or maybe they would recommend something else.

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I didnt have problems with my pan. Its a plain jane painted one. I know the block has been clearenced a little bit.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I put a stock style pan on my 383 too with no problems

I had a Moroso 7-qt deep racing pan but would have ran in to clearance issues with it and my flexy suspension. I do have it sitting out in my garage still if you're interested in it.

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: Love the Avatar!!! Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!! :woot:

10. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

Let me try to hammer mine out first. If I screw it up I will probably try to contact you about that pan. Thanks

shayne

11. 5150_BEAST

5150_BEAST Registered Member

oil pans....

CANTON!!!!:bow: my 337 stroker has one....plenty of clearance...buddy of mine has the exact same one on his 383 that i have on the 337....plus it looks cool with the large kickouts

12. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

:doah: i found out my stroker crank wouldnt clear my pan after i had it fully installed and started it the 1st time. it was the factory oil pan in my 72 k5, i made it work with a ball peen. now im running a milodon low profile stroker pan ($275) i think, before the special oil pump pickup. at least i dont have car payments.

13. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

'87 K5 here and did the 383... I just hammered out the stock pan. I made sure it would fit by testing the fit without the gasket on, since that provides a bit more clearance once you put it all together.

No problems.... just don't warp the mounting surfaces.