Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 or 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Jul 23, 2003.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

I want to build an engine for my 87 K5. I want either a 454 or a 383 stroker. Which one would yall pick and why? Right now Im leaning towards the 383. I saw the power curve for a very strong 383 in the John Lingenfelter book and the torque was amazing.

Thanks
    Nick
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I would do either, depending on what I had laying around to begin with. Finding a good 350 block is easy, and all of your bolt ons will still work with it. BBC would require different brackets and whatnot. If you feel like spending the $$$ though, I would go BBC.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 383 will cost less and will get better mileage, but the 454 will outpull it. Lingenfelter builds some amazing 383's, but it costs a LOT of money to make that kind of power. Last I knew, they got close to $15K for one of their high-zoot 383's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But their target market is the high end Corvette crowd, with bottomless pockets. When they want to go faster than one of their other Corvette buddies, they just call and order what they want. Lingenfelter's stuff isn't built with the budget racer in mind, but it does perform!

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just finished a 425 hp 391 stroker build up for $3,500. You can built a 454 for a lot less.

5. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Be different and build a BB Cadillac engine! I will even sell you one! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif www.500cid.com

6. Snarly

Snarly Registered Member

I have a 454 in an '82 K5. Lots of power, don't have to use high octane, have plenty of room for dual batteries and a large K&N. I don't regret the swap.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

454. A mild big block will still out torque a wild small block. and you won't have to go crazy with parts to do it. or rev it out at all.

8. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

and I just happen to have a 454 for sale right now for $900!! and it RUNS!!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

454 all the way, unless its a daily driver and gas mileage is a real concern for you. Cruising around the local beaches I can just idle around in the easy stuff, then if I need some speed I just floor it and it goes. I've got a friend with a *hot* 383, and he has to downshift and get some revs. With areas where you don't have room for a shift I walk all over him. An auto might make a little difference, but torque is torque and there is no replacement for displacement. I like the BBC because you don't need to rev the piss out of it, it'll run on crappy gas, and outpull a 383. Hell I still get 10+ miles per gallon.

11. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Be different and build a BB Cadillac engine! I will even sell you one! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif www.500cid.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!!! Caddy Power is the way to go... Enough Torque to reverse the rotation of the Earth, generally cheap to find and rebuild... Performance parts are expensive and limited, but with STOCK ratings like 400hp and 550ftlb of torque, who needs aftermarket parts???

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Sal

12. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

i'm in Saint Anthony Idaho

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I have traveled this road before. My K5 has had a strong 350, a high torque 383 and it's present 427. My previous Suburban had the 500 Cad conversion done to it. I can only say that the 350 & 383 were the easiest to install (a bolt-in) but the 427 is the most rewarding when it comes to all around use. The Cad was VERY strong but expensive after market parts to build a bulletproof engine was it's downfall. I like the fact that for the most part it's just easier to find the needed parts for BBC.

14. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Stock Cadillacs don't make even near the advertised 400 HP. It's more like 325 HP and 500 ft-lbs.