Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattyblazer, May 11, 2003.

1. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I am running a recent 350 with the stock tbi unit, and a 3" gibson exhaust with headers and a stage 2 chip. I got this motor for a suburban that rotted out, it had a stock carb and ran like a lightning bolt, all stock... Since I put this in my Blazer it is quick but not fast, so what would you guys suggest? After market injectors, a carb, or possibly a 383?
    Thanks

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

First thing to do is open the exhaust with headers and a mandrel bent 3" exhaust or 2 1/4" duals. Also throw a K/N filter in for giggles.

If that doesnt float your boat get deeper gears. You dont says what you have or tire size you intend to run, but gears make all the difference in the world

3. mattyblazer

I have the headers, and exhaust, and k&n set up. I am running 32X11.5 tires with what ever gears were stock in '87
    Thanks

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the headers, and exhaust, and k&n set up. I am running 32X11.5 tires with what ever gears were stock in '87
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Which are probably 3.08s when you really want 4.10s (4.56 if you ever want to run 35s) and that's why your truck is gutless.

5. mattyblazer

[ QUOTE ]

Which are probably 3.08s when you really want 4.10s (4.56 if you ever want to run 35s) and that's why your truck is gutless.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldnt say gutless, it moves around ok, I just want more..
    35" rubber doesnt help me, no good for what I am useing it for.

6. MousePowrd

First you need to find out what gears you have. Look in the glove box for the sticker that lists your RPO codes. List all the ones here that start with "G"

7. mattyblazer

So if they turn out to be 308's, which I think they are, what size gears would I want to turn 32"s on the highway? 373, 410?
    Thanks

8. MousePowrd

3.73's are nice with 32's. Thats what I have and burying the speedo and keeping it there with the cruise is NO problem /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. mattyblazer

Any suggestions for the injection?

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you got the money you can do what im planning with the 496 i got in the works and get the edelbrock efi system. Its about $1k but they claim like a 25hp and 35tq increase, and some changes in the torque curve. If ya got the money might be worth a try, but it will basically make your stage 2 chip worthless which is what sucks about my 496 ill be losin my stage 2 i had for my 350, just wasted money now lookin back. Kinda like the headers and all for the 350. 383 would be nice too, but you'll need a new chip there too, so go ahead for the edelbrock if you got deep pockets. Then you can tell me how you like it. Ok this is too long. Have fun.

11. mattyblazer

Anyone try the Edelbrock setup?

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    you can do what im planning with the 496 i got in the works and get the edelbrock efi system. Its about $1k but they claim like a 25hp and 35tq increase, and some changes in the torque curve.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you talked with the folks at Edelbrock about your plans? When I talked with their EFI tech line last year, they told me that the MPFI conversion kit was only compatible with a stock 454, or with their particular cam installed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It would suck to spend a bunch of cash and then find out that it can't keep up with your 496. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

In keeping with the theme of the post, I really like my TPI 383! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mattyblazer

[ QUOTE ]
    In keeping with the theme of the post, I really like my TPI 383! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    O.K. Great, Harry /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Did you do a conversion (modify) to the existing 350 in there? or start fresh with a crate motor? Are you useing the stock type t.b.i. or an aftermarket one.
    See the problem with my truck is that when I bought it it was more or less a skeleton, now I have way too mutch money into it, and before I dump more into it (which I will do) I just want to do mods that have been tried and proven. I started with a stock 305, moved to a 350 that I had, added an exhaust system, headders, K&N, chip, and an energy suspention (1" higher than stock, I need to get on the roof).. After all that I have a truck that is extremely fast on the highway, but only quick off the line, and I would like to sacrafice a little top end for some more take off power.

after more than $15000.00 between body parts, stereos, dvd, and other nonsense that I didnt really need I just want to be sure.

Thanks Alot!

14. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you do a conversion (modify) to the existing 350 in there? or start fresh with a crate motor? Are you useing the stock type t.b.i. or an aftermarket one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No TBI on my truck. It's TPI, Tuned Port Injection, from a 1987 Corvette. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif After I installed the complete 'vette 350, it sucked up part of a lake, hydrolocked and blew a rod through the block. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I then had a 383 short block built and bolted all the 'vette stuff back onto it. While it was apart it got the heads ported, 3-angle valve job, bigger injectors, ported manifold base and intake plenum, and larger intake runners. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    After all that I have a truck that is extremely fast on the highway, but only quick off the line, and I would like to sacrafice a little top end for some more take off power.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure sounds like some lower axle gears would make a big difference. Swapping from 3.08's to 3.73's would make quite a difference in your off-the-line performance. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. MousePowrd

Putting those 3.73's in will feel like 50hp by itself

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no i havent talked to them yet about my actual plans, but they make one for a crate 502 which is what ill prob buy. Its got bigger injectors and a diff chip. We'll see im nowhere near that $$$$ yet.

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am running the Edlbrock MPFI on a 383. My engine was professionally built and the guys that built it have done several and have dynoed some of them so I am reasonably confident that they can back up their HP/TQ claims of 350/415.

When I finally decided on the 383, it was built for low end torque and compatibility with the stock computer. I am running an LT1 cam and a chip from Edlebrock. So far the engine has performed flawlessly and gives resonable gas mileage of about 12-13 city/15 highway.

If you ask Edlebrock about this combination, they will tell you that it is not recommended, and that their MPFI systems are designed for stock engines. They want to sell you more stuff.

18. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    They want to sell you more stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, they recommended a guy in Denver that could provide a custom chip to make it work with the 454 that I was building. All he wanted was $600 and my truck for 2-3 days. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So they lost that sale! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. mattyblazer

Who's got the best deal for complete rear-end setups?

20. HarryH3

3.73's are a pretty common factory ratio, so finding complete axles with that ratio isn't too tough. You'll find the best deals in a private sale. Junkyards can be pretty expensive, unless you have a pick-n-pull type of place that lets you pull parts yourself pretty cheap. Also keep an eye on the Parts For Sale Forum here on the site. Watch local newspapers for anyone parting out a truck. That can be a good place to find stuff also. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif