Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 sbc vs. 396 sbc

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jul 12, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Still trying to learn as I plan for my new engine. I had pretty much settled on the 383 until I read an article on the 396 sbc. This thing, if I've entered the info in my Dyno2000 correctly starts at 2000 RPM producing OVER 400ft/lbs of tq. 2600RPM is right where I run towing my camper. That's good news. My questions:

The compression height (i think thats the right term) of the piston for the 396 is very small. I think roughly 1". Does this reduce the longevity/reliability of the engine?

Will this piston also be smaller in overall ht. or not? And does that matter as far as reliability goes?

Can a standard 350 block be machined to accept a crank with a stroke as long as the 396 requires.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are going to need to give us specs on this setup. I've never heard of a 396 sbc...

If the the stroke is much bigger than 3.8" yes it will require special/more machine work, different oil pan(oil pan rails will need to be clearanced most likely), and a small base circle camshaft.

With THAT short of a compression distance, 1 or 2 of the ring lands will be into the wrist pin area. Means worse oil retention and more blowby. In a race engine, who cares? They are rebuilding every season. In a street engine? not so desirable. Its possible they are using a 2 ring setup, less friction(good for race) but same issues I noted above. Not to say you can't run this setup with great success on the street.

Consider this, I haven't heard of this so I'm guessing its new, and new is expensive. And I'm sure its using high dollar forged crank and all. I'd stick with a 383 if you really want to build an engine. Unless you want to be different. But remember being different often means more $$$. I doubt you will gain much for the extra expenditure. Now if it were some race engine with all the best heads, intake, cam, blah blah blah, yeah that extra 13cui would be something you need.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

a 396 sbc has 4.03 bore and 3.875 stroke. you can buy the kits but yes you are correct in that they are expensive. The 383 seems to be more proven. I'll probably stick with that.

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get 396 big block :D

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

hell, why not 572. that should make plenty of torque, but i think you will have gallons per mile, not the other way around.

Edit: 383 Baby!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  6. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a few friends that have had good luck with their 396 SBC. However, they have all been built with a LT1 block, I have never seen one built using a standard L98 block. Not saying that it cant be done... just never seen it.

With that said, the 396's that I have seen run never run much better than a well built 383, and they cost much more to build.

My two cents

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner