Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 stroker Build or Buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Jun 14, 2001.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I'm going to need a new motor in the next little while and was wondering should I have my 350 4 bolt main rebuilt or buy a 383 stroker already made? I have the original engine still and it is just getting old and leaking a quart a week out of the rear main seal.

What would the cost be for a shop to build it vs one prebuilt? I would love to build my own but I've never done it and don't want to get it wrong. My neighbor builds hot rod engines all the time and says he will help if I need it.

I'd probably pull the motor myself to save some cash and to make sure it gets put back in right. What kind of timeframe does it take to have a shop build it? What kind of timeframe would it be if I had it magna fluxed, hot tanked and my neighbor and I built it?

Where can you buy a 383? I saw the Pace Parts one and heard that Napa carries one also. Is a 383 really alot better in real world driving than the 350 crate engine?

Thanks guys. Let me know of any prices or opinions.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Every once in a while you can find a good deal on Ebay. I picked up a stroker for my Burban a month ago. Love it! The best part was that it was about 70 Miles away from home. (no shipping.) If your neighbor offered to help, i think that would be the best way to go. If you check around you can find good deals from mail order places for the rotating assembly, and then have the machine work done locally. I did not have time to do it with mine. The orginal 350 was lacking oil pressure and compression. I did not trust it much longer.

The turn around time at the machine shop would depend on their workload.

I also considered a GM crate engine because of the warranty. But $$ did not allow.

If you have the time to do it, I think that building it would be cheaper. And more fun.

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Having built many of my own engines as well as paying someone else to build them, I feel confident in saying you can save some money if you do everything correctly. If you are willing to follow directions, pay attention to detail, have the patience it takes and work for free, you can build your own. If you have the time, I would buy one of the 383 engine kits and build it yourself. My 383 was built professionally for about $3200 and used all new parts except crankshaft & rods. Remember, if you go with a 383, you'll need a new harmonic balancer and flywheel/flexplate. 383's are a much better truck engine than 350's with better lowend torque & no loss in fuel mileage.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Summit has a lot of rebuild kits available, if you feel that your neihbor is competent and are willing to build it yourself, you could make a nice 383.

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would go with a 383 stroker kit from speed-o-motive in california, and have a local machine shop do the crank work. I too thought of just buying a ready made but for the same cost or less you can make your own and be better. I'm planning on getting vortec heads and intake for mine and will have about $1500 into it. tries these if you want a ready made www.golensengineservice.com www.goautocenter.com www.pawengineparts.com

6. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Speed-o-Motive sells their 383 short block for 1295.00 and a long block with I belive sportman head for around 2400.00. Its shipped by air. I think it totals out to be about 2700.00 after you return the container. Friend of mine ordered his on Friday got it in less that a week and was cruisen around by Sat Night.

Eat More Mud!!

Dreaming of a BIG BLOCK!!!!

7. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Have you seen the Blazer they're building on Trucks! on TNN? They used a Ram Jet crate motor, pretty cool. I used to work at a Chevy dealer and have to say a decent crate motor would be hard to beat when you consider the warranty. But I have to admit that I''ve always dreamed about building my own motor.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would probably just buy one... especially if you don't have all the tools you need and an in w/ a machine shop. The machine costs alone tend to get hefty. Plus I like the idea of a warrenty even if it is very small... Plus of course the time you save... definetly good for me. I have pretty much decided I'd only be making my race and drag motors from now one... stockers and mild ones can get one done up... at least the shortblock of it.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would build one if you can. It would be cheaper. Patiance and attention to details is the clue In making an engine last. I used to have a shop and built several engines for racing and street. I would warrenty all my engines, If you followed all my guide lines. No futher modifacations without My approval. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE UNSEAL THE ENGINE. I had a guy try and sue me over an engine I built, 484 stroker,$13,000. It spun a rod bearing. It turned out at some time he wacked the oil pan and replaced it himself. He used alot of silicone and some of it got into the oil pickup and clogged the pump. NO WARRENTY. so, I guess my point is, If you are going to have a shop build it for you or if you buy one already built so you can get that warrenty, You had better check and see what they will back up. it's not hard to build an engine. any yahoo can throw one together. It takes tools and patiance to build one to last. If you want to build one and need advice, ask the board. Ther is alot of people who know here.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I am a mechanic by trade, mostly in the motorcycle and boat motor lines. I have been building engines for many years. I had to try a 383 and to date I have built 2. It is really a good feeling to be driving your K5 with your own built engine in it. I am not saying it is easy---but very satisfying to say "yea, I built it myself!" Like other members have posted, follow the directions to the letter, and don't scrimp. You will be saving money by building it yourself, so do yourself and your engine a favor and do the little things, like balancing, roller rockers, and a few of the things that crate engines never see. Balancing will increase the life of the engine. Just do all of the things you would for a good woman and then treat her right!! She will do the same for you!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

11. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I built the one that currently resides in my 90 blazer and although I love it dearly..........it still gives me an a$$kicking every once in awhile. Of course I am still trying to get the correct combo with my chip and TBI to make it run like a dream. If you have no computer then you are good to go but for me it was a big project that took some time. Chevy actually makes a crate 383 that I have heard great things about and it comes with a warranty. Can't beat that with a stick. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

12. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

You will love the 383 a lot better then the 350. If you build it, like everyone says, don't scrimp and follow the directions. I am in the process of putting in a 383 in my 90 Jimmy. Make sure you have a good machine shop do the work. It is better to pay a little more now, then a lot later.

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

In 1-3 years I plan on doing a big block swap in my Blazer. The reason I think its going to take so long to do it is because of the price. I just want to do it right and never have any regrets. I want so much power that I'll never even dream of another engine. I talked to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.beckracingengines.com>http://www.beckracingengines.com</A> yesterday about some of their engine packages.
    The guy I talked to was saying they had only a few employees and they all used to work on race teams. He listed off some of their tolerances compared to GM crate motors and it was a huge difference. I'm thinking about the Pro Tow 496 they make...around 600 ft./lbs of torque!!! He also talked about their warrenty for a while. They're so confident in their engines that they offer up to 100k mile warrenties on ALL of their engines...including the 900 horse blown 540. All the magazine reviews about Becks are great. You can buy the engines completely turnkey...I can't wait until I get enough cash saved up to do something like that.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you go a 350, I would definitely recommend www.PowerPro2000.com. I have a friend that bought a long block from them and he has nothing but praise for it. They have a special Performance One motor that is a 350 with some mods for better low end torque. Your model 350 w/4 bolt in the Performance One model is $1,435 plus core. They ship FedEx in special crating for core return. All shipping is prepaid by them, including core return shipping costs. And, here is the real bonus, they come with a 5 YEAR, 100,000 MILE WARRANTY! Can't beat that anywhere. I am replacing my 305 with a Performance One 350 this Fall.

Check out the website. It has all the details of what goes into the engines. More questions, call them. They are very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

15. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Wow, you guys have opened my eyes to a lot if new information.

I might buy a crate, keep mine and build it up for a later swap into a blazer. I've always wanted to build an engine. I guess it will depend on the timing of the swap more than anything.

Has anyone heard anything about the Napa 383 Stroker? I couldn't find it on line and my local store said they didn't carry it. I've heard from a freind that he had a freind that bought one. 373hp and 420 lb tq. I don't know much more about it though. I'll check on some of the sites listed above.

Thanks.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>