Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 stroker for complet TPI?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hello All,

I would like some feed back. What would be my chances on tradeing a 383 for a complete tpi with motor and all. Or should I sell it and just shop around at wrecking yards? The stoker is a complete turn key drop in and go!

Thanks folks

Lico

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Quetzal, I've found a small handfull of TPI systems and engines in J-yards (they're not easy to find intact at the Pick-N-Pulls or Pick-Your-Parts of the world). I'd say that your best shot at finding a complete TPI system locally would be GM Sports Salvage in San Jose, since they seem to have them coming out of their ears. They are expensive, though (and I preferred when Jerome owned the place because he knows a whole lot more about the business of F-bodies than these new guys will ever know).

I can't tell you whether you should trade your 383 or sell it. Have you thought about just putting a TPI setup on the 383?

3. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks Steve for the input,

I havn't had any luck with a Tpi at Pick-N-Pull but I have seen a lot of 14bolts full and semi float oh and a dana 60 rear. I would like to swicth to a TPI cuase of the fuel economy and I hear that it is very reliable. Also I don't need 400 horses. I got a little ahead of my self with plans for my rig when I first got it. I would be very happy with a tpi and just a few other upgrades. Not ever going to get into some real heavy off road use. Just the ocasional light trail just for scenic purposes. How much does the system from sport salvage go for?

Thanks

Lico

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I think that GM Sports Salvage sells the hardware and wiring off of 305 engines for something around $900. They sell complete running TPI engines for somewhere around $1600. It's been a while since I was looking for a setup from them, but call them at 408-432-8498. They literally have dozens of setups since they deal primarily in Firebirds, Camaros, and Corvettes.

Oh, you can do a lot of modifications to the TPI setup to allow for more horses (which I'm planning to do to the TPI I'm building up).

5. SliderMSG

SliderMSG Registered Member

How Much do you want for the 383? I am building a 72 K5 and I am looking for a 400hp motor to propel it down the road.

Let me know thanks
    Mark