Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 stroker help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ro444, Dec 31, 2005.

1. ro444

ro444 Newbie

I recently replaced my tired 350 with a 383 stroker in my 1988 k5 blazer.I fired it up and it seemed to run fine except it lagged a little bit when i would shift to 3rd gear. Basically it runs about the same as my 350 did. I have talked to some local people around here and they have told me to order chip.Yesterday I orded the chip and hopefully i will see a differnece. I'm not expecting a race motor but this thing should have 100 more horsepower than my stock motor. Should the chip make that big of a difference? Any suggestions?

Thanks Rich

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. fordtruggy

fordtruggy Registered Member

Play with the timing,It should have a little more than before if not maybe the guy you bought the motor from shorted you 33 cubic inches.Or it is severly detuned.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put a 406 in my old truck and didn't do anything to the computer. I would try the timing as well.....

5. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

454 injector has a larger volume of flow. they will work in the 350 tbi, but they are about $75 each new. holy makes a direct factory replacement tbi that runs 30% more using the factory computer for about $350.

6. ro444

ro444 Newbie

I just took off the holley tbi. I kept getting check engine light on. then it would act like it wanted to die when I was driving. I dont think I had it calibrated right. I couldnt figure out how to calibrate the TPS. I put the stock tbi back on and it runs better now. I am going to wait till I get the modified chip and try the holley again. I also tried to advance the timing and it doesnt seem to make any difference with my lag problem. The 350 that I replaced ran fine, it had about 18000 miles on it and I just wanted a motor that had alot of low end torque and instant throttle response. I hope the new chip will make a difference.