Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 Stroker Kits?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used a kit from Strokerkits.com? Im lookin for a 383 kit for the Jimmy. I have the block at the machine shop now, getting bored and cleaned and what not. The guy told me to just buy a kit that came with everything. He did suggest that i get an internally balanced kit but it seems like all the internally balanced kits with a 1 piece seal are $$$. I was looking at the ones from Summit but $1K will pretty much destroy the budget. I have time to save and all but i was wondering if anyone else used a kit that was cheaper? Any suggestions would help. I have researched on the boards and some people are saying kits from $500-$1000 all i can find are the $1000.

Ohh and Ive looked on EBAY too but some kits seem shaddy.

2. jimmy'sjimmy

I just found a kit on gofaststuff.com for $789
    Anyone have anything better they have seen?

3. jimmy'sjimmy

Anyone have anything to say about a 383 kit? Anything?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Most kits use Scat or Eagle cranks, both of which are made overseas. I have heard nightmare stories about cranks not being straight, machined incorrectly, etc. I found a 400 crank and a 383 piston ring kit for slightly more than any of the other kits I found, so I went with that. On the other side, there are tons of people out there that run Eagle and Scat stuff with no problems, so they can't be that bad. If you have checked ebay and google, you have probably seen pretty much everything there is to see.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

piece it together from name brand parts. Mine is Eagle crank, stock rods, Speed Pro Pistons, and rings, no idea what bearings. The hard parts cost me I'd say about $500 all together(had the rods). I did not get an internally balanced kit, I DO recommend you get one... DO NOT buy a pre balanced kit. I hate those things and the idea of them. A good balance should include your balancer and flexplate/flywheel, a rotating assembly prebalanced without these either leaves them to chance or takes for granted that these parts are nuetrally balanced, which when you buy them from summit or similar they almost never are.

6. jimmy'sjimmy

If I get it piece by piece and buy an internally balanced Scat crank will I still have to take it to get balanced after I get the whole assembly together?

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, cost me about $150 I think

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes, internally balanced does not mean, "balanced assembly". You don't, NEED to balance an engine, but of the ones I've built, I've had one that wasn't balanced. I will never put an engine together unbalanced again. Lets just say she didn't care for RPMs(say much more than 5-5,500, and didn't get there in a hurry.