Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 Stroker or wait for 2500 HD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thebean_74, Aug 4, 2003.

1. thebean_74

thebean_74 Registered Member

I have a 94 2 door Yukon with a 6" RCD lift, 35 BFG, custom paint, upgraded interior,regeared,hypertech chip, and tons of other aftermarket parts. The truck has its original motor with 170K+ and I have been trying to figure out what to do? I use as a regular driver (not quite daily thats what the 88 Acura is for)and for towing my 21' toybox(electric brakes of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)600 roundtrip to Glamis sand dunes. Loaded with two honda pilot atv's inside the trailer weight is close to 7000#s. The truck runs fine and passes the CA smog but I need more power. Should I a). 383 stroker with edelbrock heads, rocker rollers, etc.. estimated cost $3500 + installation. B). 2001 -2003 Duramax with allison cost $35000. This might take a while. How reliable is the stroker? Ive heard good things but could always use more reassurance when spending that sort of cash. I have invested tons of $$$$ into this vehicle. P.S. I have already done a search. Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the 383-HT from your local Chevrolet dealership. Try this. I'd feel much better about something with a warentee. [​IMG]

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

need to get the TBI Vortec intake thats about all I see wrong with that. Custom chip too.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Or you could get the adapter for the 4 bl intake from turbo city or holley.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Not too long ago I just bought a 2003 2500HD D/A. I have never been happier. I used to tow my small 3500# popup with my Jimmy runny 35" tires, lockers, and a souped 350 (330+ HP). It was a white knuckle affair. There was enough power that the front end would wiggle everytime I got on or off the gas while pulling the trailer. Well, you know how well a trailer reacts with front end wiggle with this short of wheelbase.

Now I tow with my crew cab 2500HD and it is a dream. On a recent trip from Dallas to my place in the mountains of Colorado and back, I averaged around 17 MPG towing the camper with cruise at around 70. Let's see you do THAT with the 383! Not! And, while in the mountains, I was pulling 20MPG unloaded.

My Jimmy, which now has a 400+ HP 383 has great power, but is lucky to get 10MPG unloaded. Highway isn't any better, but the 42" TSLs could have something to do with that.

If you can, ditch the Acura and get a 2500HD with the D/A combo(new or used, they all work great). You can drive it everyday, use it to tow your toys, and could even use it as a tow rig someday, too!

Thats my recommendation.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Or you could get the adapter for the 4 bl intake from turbo city or holley.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not going to pass CA emmisions w/ a carb motor in an FI Tahoe.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

get the 2500HD. Even after you get more power sooner or later you will want a newr vehicle sooner or later.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I have a Tahoe (sig), and I am looking into a late model Powerstroke, or Cummins. Most likely, it will be a 1995 or so Powerstroke F350. That's exactly what I want... it's got a diesel, and a good on at that. It also is 1-ton w/ SFA, and it's a manual, so I have full control.

Might want to look into that. Right now I tow with my Tahoe, but it can't handle the K10, so I have to borrow my dad's 2500HD D/A. I hate using other people's stuff, plus I like the roar of a diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I say... finance an HD! (or go my route)/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did you regear the Yukon????

10. thebean_74

Re: 383 Stroker !! Anyone recpmmend a shop?

I have new Borg-Warner gears and a new eton posi. Not sure what size gears I have. Can anyone recommend an engine builder in SO CALI? Installation? All advice is greatly appreciated. I know that the D/A is the best combo for towing but it I would not know what to do with the Yukon. I have spent more money than I want to admit trying to get this thing right.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

to get someoen to build a 383 for a TBI chevy and make some real power, get it to work right, and install it will be more than 3k I think. 5+ would be much more realistic I think.

12. thebean_74

I dont mind spending for top quality but my concern is will 5k+ invested allow me to travel with a piece of mind on long distances or will I still turn my radio down everytime I smell something funny on the road???

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you'll probably still have too. I got tired of doing that so I got my 95 K2500 and I still do it, though less, with the 2500.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i believe the yukons came with either 3.08 or 3.42 as the only factory option gears. I could be wrong, as I did hear of some fo them going as high as 3.73 if you got the "Trailer" package.

In terms of the "letting off the gas wander".. yeah, I get that too, and it certainly does become very white nuckling. I dont think he has that problem because he has IFS, and while it may still having the lifting up and down, it shouldnt affect his wheel position.....

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 94 2 door Yukon with a 6" RCD lift, 35 BFG, custom paint, upgraded interior,regeared,hypertech chip, and tons of other aftermarket parts. The truck has its original motor with 170K+ and I have been trying to figure out what to do? I use as a regular driver (not quite daily thats what the 88 Acura is for)and for towing my 21' toybox(electric brakes of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)600 roundtrip to Glamis sand dunes. Loaded with two honda pilot atv's inside the trailer weight is close to 7000#s. The truck runs fine and passes the CA smog but I need more power. Should I a). 383 stroker with edelbrock heads, rocker rollers, etc.. estimated cost $3500 + installation. B). 2001 -2003 Duramax with allison cost $35000. This might take a while. How reliable is the stroker? Ive heard good things but could always use more reassurance when spending that sort of cash. I have invested tons of $$$$ into this vehicle. P.S. I have already done a search. Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

15. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

They haven't used 3.08/3.07's in a loooooong time. The Yukons, and Tahoes never had them. They come with either 3.42 or 3.73. 3.73 is an option seperate from the tow package, but you can't get the tow package w/o the 3.73 option. Make since?