Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 stroker, stock parts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Jan 25, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey guys time to pick some brains. I'm interested to know if anyone here has done a 383 stroker buildup. if so what stock parts did u retain from your donor engine if any? I've got an 89 350 I've started the strip down process. I'm planning on using a set of vortec heads on this one for budget vs. performance reasons, w/ an aftermarket crank. Did u retain any of your stock components when u did the buildup, (for budget sake) and do u regret any of it now? Also was yours internally or externally balanced? (an option when using aftermarket cranks) Also while I'm on the subject does anyone know the cc rating of the vortec heads?

thanks
    oh yea, anyone had bad luck w/ the one piece rear mains?

Like em big and topless

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I pulled the 350 block out of my 93 suburban and replaced it with a 79 400 short block. I used the heads and all the mounting brackets from the 93 350. You have to look real close to tell its not the stock motor. The only mod need to any thing was to drill the steam holes in the heads useing the head gasket and the guide.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

Your engine builder/machine shop will tell you what you need. Go with their advice. I built one quite a few years ago for a Z28 and was pretty happy with it. Really torquey!

I used all the 350 parts except the crank, rods, harmonic dampner and flexplate that I had to knab from a 400 SBC. You just need to turn the main journals of the 400 crank down to fit your mains in your 350 block (I think the final dimension is 2.65 from 2.85).

Blazer72 brings up a very valid point though. With the 400 (.030" over) you get to 406 cid. That nets you 23 cubes over your 350/400 hybrid that will make more power. The 400 will run a little hotter, but if I ever do a SBC again, I'm doing the 400.

Regards

Marc Bryson

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Vortec heads are 64cc.
    -- Mike

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i built two many years ago. i used a new crank, used flywheel, new dampner (fluidamper) for added reliability, Kieth black pistons, total seal rings. if i remember correctly everything else was stock.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Does your 89 setup have TBI or a carbarator? The vortec heads and the TBI intake manifold don't match up.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The key is matching your parts! You can build a budjet 383 that is very reliable and made for continueous duty type of work!
    Do the research before you buy anything. You will need to figure out wat all the "numbers" are gonna be, Like the heads you buy. For a torquey motor like a 383 the less throty stuff is better like 74cc with 1.94/1.50 valves with compresion of 9.1-1 is better than using 64cc with 202/1.60 with 10.1-1 compression. I am doing the leg work now on this and so far the tuffest part is getting all the numbers to match so the build up will work!!
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>