Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 stroker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b laub, Feb 2, 2003.

1. b laub

b laub Registered Member

when rebuilding my 350 to a 383 what all do i need to take into consideration, because its fuel injected i didnt know if i had to get a different chip or what because i dont' want to mess anything up???

2. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

As long as you don't go too wild with the cam, you won't have to worry about the computer and fuel injection too much. The 383 will be able to start and run with your stock chip with a mild cam. I wouldn't advise leaving it like that for a long time as your 383 will want more fuel and will end up running leaner with the stock chip. Once you have your engine built, have a shop burn you a custom chip for your vehicle. If you don't have a decent radiator and cooling system now, make sure you upgrade those things to be able to handle the increased power being produced by the 383. All the accessories from your 350 will bolt up to the 383, of course make sure you use a harmonic balancer and flexplate for a 400c.i. engine to match the 400 crank. Good luck and if you have any more questions just post them here.

3. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have a 383 in my wifes 88 c/k with the factory tbi and I love it. Along with tri y headers,mild cam,tbi spacer, flow master, no cat, mild port work, and jet 6 pack chip(not programed for a 383). We have been running it for 3 years and an estimated 50000 miles now it runs great but a bit lean. I have though about a bigger after market tbi but I dont want to trade off the 6 pack chip. I am at the moment bilding a 383 with holey projection for my dads jeep.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You should be able to get a chip calibrated for the extra cubes.

5. b laub

b laub Registered Member

ok that won't be to bad thanx guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif