Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383 Swap complete

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Derf00, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am now the proud owner of a stroked and lifted Jimmy. The installation of our Multi-port fuel injected 383 is complete. All I can say is WOW, what a difference hp makes.

The engine was built by Sunset Racecraft of Lubbock, Tx, they are an offshoot of Scoggins & Dickey and still do a lot of work for them. Vortec heads, Edlebrock multi-port fuel injection, Edlebrock TES headers. I had intentions of hooking back to the cat, but when we cut the stock y-pipe loose to connect the new one, it was obvious that the cat was shot, so we replaced it with a piece of 3" pipe. With one flow master it is a little loud.

With the old 350 it was hard to break the 37's loose on wet pavement with full throttle, the 383 will break them loose on dry asphalt with 3/4 throttle. The cam isn't particularly radical since I wanted to keep it emmissions legal and run the stock computer with a modified chip. It is presently running with a Hypertec chip until we get the new chip from Edlebrock, so far no computer problems.

We will post some pics as soon as developed, but there isn't much to see other than the headers and the fuel rails, no flash, just performance. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Congrats! How much hp/tq you estimate your making?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif so what are the hp/tq stats? i bet you cant wait to get it out wheeling /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great combo, could easily sit in the mid 400 hp/tq . I'd like to see pics of the combo too. I have an interest in setting up with the FI and the headers from Edelbrock as well. Nice choice!

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Since it was not dynoed it is estimated @ 350HP, 425 fp/lbs torque. It has only been driven a few miles, but I am extremely pleased thus far. I was very happy with the fit of the TES headers, good clearences from the starter and all plugs are accessable. The only problem encountered was caused by the lift, so the y-pipe had to be modified.

6. tonto

tonto Registered Member

WHAT ARE THE SPECS ON THE MOTOR? HOW IS THE FIT AND FINISH OF THE F.I. FROM EDELBROCK? THIS IS SOMETHING I HOPE TO DO IN THE FUTURE. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PICS.

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You Suck!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Congrates!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Fred, congrats. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

What computer does this system use, a standalone Edelbrock unit?