Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

383??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking i'm going to have to rebuild my 350 this spring. it has a horrible knock and is burning oil insanly. i was thinkin i should convert it to a 383. Does anyone know how these engine hold up with wheeling? wat block would u recommend 350 or 327? Thanks for any replys

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

They 383 is an insane motor for wheeling!
    Lotsa torque right where you need it in the lower band...

If your serious about it get a new crank made for a 383...
    Much stronger than turning down a 400 crank...
    there about 450-500 bucks though...

I was going to build one instead of my 350, but just didnt want to spend the extra money...

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

383's are great for wheeling!! My 388 has no problem moving my heavy Suburban. I would definately recommend a stroker in a 4X4.

Personally I would use a pre-'75 4 bolt main 350 block. They were cast heavier, to allow clearance grinding without ending up poking into a water jacket.

I personally built mine, so if you have any questions, just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Go for a 350 4-bolt mains. Lots of 383 around, just ask what ever u need to know.

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

DO IT!!! I love my 383, I cannot say enough about them, they are awesome, IMHO the best small block out there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. My 383 is in my wife's 88 3/4 ton 4x4 with factory fuel injetion. I used a 74 350 block, 400 crank, and 350 rods, to build tourqe down low and I love it. Smoth, long lasting(4 years now)and powerfull. Dollar per dollar it cost me more than my 454 in the blazer and makes less power but it's so much better than stock I love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. blazerman383

blazerman383 Registered Member

DO IT!! It produces more torque than you'll need. I will never go back, at least not for my trail rigs.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really really really want a brand spankin new 383-HT crate motor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif