Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SS66, Feb 25, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Im no engine expert, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me. Is the 383 at the top of this page a fair deal? http://www.psiflex.com/chevy_crate_engines.htm
    450 HP out of the crate sounds heavenly :-)

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I read through the components list and it sounds like a pretty decent motor. But, it seems a little high priced IMHO. In fact it may be a little much for a truck, but maybe not (evil grin) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sounds like a sweet motor lots of good stuff and even though it probably makes great torque it might make it a little higher in the RPM range though it probably makes good torque everywhere I say go for it Also with that motor you are going to have run premium But overall looks like a fair deal. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

A little much? There's no such thing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Thanks for the reply.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I would buy from someone else though down further on the page they picture an economy engine with aluminum heads the price says this engine does not come with aluminum heads I hate companys that do stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

With an RPM Air Gap intake and RPM cam, the power band is going to move up the RPM scale a little. But it would probably still provide good low-end power. One thing I would check on is a core charge. All the other motors on that page list the price and state 'no core'. That one does not.

For a reference point, I had a similar motor custom-built by a local racing shop for my rig. It ran around $4k. I think their price is high, but it depends on what your options may be.