Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Jul 12, 2003.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

gona hafta rebuild. Was thinking of doing a 383, but one mechanic told my wife he wouldnt because of reliability and now what I have had her convinced of is finished.

Anyway who has one, did you build it or have it built and would you do it again? Any thing I should be aware of? What I want to know is do they over heat easier? Is it that much more torque then a built 350? any down falls?I will have a engine builder mic eveything and assemble the long block and I will do the rest.

I have a 4 bolt main and was going to buy the 383 kit from power house. they look like they have good deals if any of you know or dont know about them check them out www.enginekits.com.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've had a 388 in my Suburban for about 4 years now. It is very reliable and has never overheated. A 383-385-388 will act the same cooling-wise as a 350. Make sure your cooling system is up to par, and it should keep any small block well within normal temp.

I built my engine myself. I collected the parts for about a year, had the machine work done, clearenced the block myself, and put it together. I spent about $3500 for everything and I already had the heads and block. One could be built for less than I paid by using a kit like you mentioned. I pretty much bought the components separately so I could get exactly what I wanted.

I would definately build a Stroker again. In fact, I doubt I would ever rebuild "just" a 350 again, the power is greatly increased in a Stroker a they aren't much more difficult to build.

If you have any specific questions, plese feel free to PM me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention, do a search on this subject. 383's have been discussed to great extent and there should be some good info in the archives. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

thanks, guess I will do a search before I post /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

First, find another mechanic. As others have said, properly built, a 383 is just as reliable as any other engine.

I purchased a professionally built 383 over a year ago, and am extremely happy with it. What's not to like about more hp, more torque, and better fuel mileage. Mine was built to run off the stock computer with a modified chip and is still emmissions compliant.

I would absolutely do it again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one. if you need to convince your wife bring her along as you talk to a few other mechanics, try to find some mechanics that are Bowtie guys and Racers. As i have not had a stroker yet, i know a few people that Have(had) strokers. and they love em. I will be building a 383 here in the next couple months...

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm guessing that the mechanic your wife talked too is one of those "If the factory didn't build it like that, there must be a reson" kind of guys. I've ran into a few mechanics in my life who just couldn't understand modifications. A good point too bring up is that the 383 stroker became so poppular, that the factory started building them. Now why do you think they became so poppular ??? More power, easy too build, and a reliable engine. I don't see any reason a 383 stroker wouldn't be just as reliable as a 350 built with the same compression. If I was going too build another 383 Stroker motor, I would go with a steel crank, steel rods, and a big block's oil pump. That way it would be way stronger the a stock 350 !!!!!!!

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

thanks all for the input I just needed a little extra fire power /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I will buy the stuff and have a well know (race) engine builder in the area do it up right for me /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

You have steel, cast or forged cranks? and what does power house mean when they say cast cranck no less then 20 X 20?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    cast cranck no less then 20 X 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess they mean the rod and main bearing surfaces are ground no more than .020" over standard. Typical is standard, .010", .020", and .030", and any combination of the above. (such as .010/.020...can't remember which is which, but that would mean for instance that the main bearing surfaces would all be .010, and all rod bearings would be .020)