Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

388 Small block vs. Ford V-10 pull off - Who can win?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Dec 25, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Do you think a Suburban with a 388 SB (310 hp, 410 ftlbs) with lets say 14BFF w/ 4.10 gears and in 4-low (no hubs locked) take a stock V-10 in 2 wheel drive? How about vs. a Diesel?

I think it can. I pulled off with with my old 350 (4-low 2 wheel drive and 10bolt w/ 3.42s) against an older 3/4 Ford and dragged it across the parking lot.

2. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    i dont know about pulling it in 2wd low but in 4low with 4:10's you should be able to pull a gas v-10 . but diesels have more torque than gas.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont know about pulling it in 2wd low but in 4low with 4:10's you should be able to pull a gas v-10 . but diesels have more torque than gas.

[/ QUOTE ]
    He can't pull in 4wd because the other guy has a 2wd and that would be cheating.
    When it comes to playing tug of war, in my experience, the heaviest truck almost always wins. HP and torque play a big part but not as much as total vehicle weight. As far as gas vs. diesel... I watched 2 late 90's dodge HD3/4ton 4wd's play tug before. Both had a 6" lift, 35" BFG muds, and weld 16.5x12's... Almost identical dodges except for one thing, one was a cummins and the other was a V-10. They pulled on assphalt and just spun,hopped and didn't go anywhere. It was just one big smoke show and when they relized that they were just burning up tires and not going anywhere they stopped.

Wheelbase length also helps. Is this ford a long bed? regular cab? I would say you have more power if you can use low range and I would imagine with the ford being a 2wd you win the weight advantage also.

There is only one thing left and that is traction, what rubber are you running compared to him? The slightly lighter rig can still win if it has MUCH better traction than the other rig.

Last is the driver and that can make all the difference in the world. If you break traction to soon and just smoke the tires the other person can just drag you around if they know what they are doing. Be carefull and try not to break traction and feel when he pulls his hardest and if he breaks traction, then is the time to get on it quickly and see if you can keep him spinning thus having less traction and drag his ass. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont forget vehicle height... that plays a large role in the amount of vehicle traction.. generally the taller vehicle will be pulled down by the lower vehicle, thus providing more traction..

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    dont forget vehicle height... that plays a large role in the amount of vehicle traction.. generally the taller vehicle will be pulled down by the lower vehicle, thus providing more traction..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

ford v10 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

when do you want to try? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifrifguitar is right ,who ever gets the jump almost always wins.we do it with our fork lifts all the time,once i start they just spin. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    we do it with our fork lifts all the time,once i start they just spin. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. boggerless

yea, i've tried everything on a fork lift over the years.i even set up a ramp and jumped it with our old cat(it was a 2 speed manual) the ramp was only about 1 foot high, but the landing was quite ugly.i hit on the right front tire first and then it started bouncing.i had nots on my head and every thing. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. BigBurban350

So your saying theres a chance?

11. boggerless

let's try it big daddy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. boggerless

remember june,we all get together.i just baught a trailer so i'm taking both my trucks.concrete,asphalt,mud, name the turf. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifafter i win i'll try with JR. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. BigBurban350

Well then screw my new front driveshaft then, im getting 4.88's!!

14. boggerless

what tires are you going to have?right now i have cheezy little 33in boggers,when we meet i'll have 35in TSL's or IROCK'S,my deuling friend.and 3.73's,ha ha ha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Coming from the world of truck pulling (check out sig), the strongest motor rarely wins. Vehicle weight, tires, gearing (tranny and rearend), hitch height, and wheelbase seem to make more of difference (unless you are talking a 4 banger vs. a v8, but even then a 4 banger can win if the "set-up" is that much better........)

Just things to consider.

If I were to do it, I would load the $hit out of my vehicle (full tanks of fuel), get the highest hitch I could find (without being overly obvious), and make sure everything is tight (such as u-joints). Hooking to another truck is almost a sure recipe for breakage especially the older the vehicles and the better the traction surface.

Also be careful of bystanders. A chain that breaks or a faulty hitch can kill somebody. I've seen a chain embedded in a tailgate after a bumper to bumper pull (same with a winch cable that decides to let go under severe tension).

16. rjfguitar

I agree with leadfoot...HP means very little compared to gearing and weight. And if you do it on asphalt you will find your trucks weakest link. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

yea but what if they have wider rims..oh say WELDs, they would win hands down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

just messin with ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    yea but what if they have wider rims..oh say WELDs, they would win hands down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    huh, when did I mention welds? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. BigBurban350

[ QUOTE ]
    Coming from the world of truck pulling (check out sig), the strongest motor rarely wins. Vehicle weight, tires, gearing (tranny and rearend), hitch height, and wheelbase seem to make more of difference (unless you are talking a 4 banger vs. a v8, but even then a 4 banger can win if the "set-up" is that much better........)

Just things to consider.

If I were to do it, I would load the $hit out of my vehicle (full tanks of fuel), get the highest hitch I could find (without being overly obvious), and make sure everything is tight (such as u-joints). Hooking to another truck is almost a sure recipe for breakage especially the older the vehicles and the better the traction surface.

Also be careful of bystanders. A chain that breaks or a faulty hitch can kill somebody. I've seen a chain embedded in a tailgate after a bumper to bumper pull (same with a winch cable that decides to let go under severe tension).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can believe you with the killer chain. A nylon tow strap broke and dented the sh*t outta my rear door, like somebody wacked it with a sledge hammer. Oh I also blew out my buddies windshield when I was trying to get him outta a mud hole, el yanko snappo. Lucky he was not inside or else he would be picking glass outta is face.

Anyways back to the tug post...I guess I am set pretty good then, I got a Suburban (Weight), 7" of lift (height), A/T tires (more rubber on road), pop her in 4 low and go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. boggerless

hey bro, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif my GVW is 9999. no poop i'll show you when we try,and it st's 2in lower than my chevy that has a6in lift and 36in tires.i really don't want to pull on asphalt in 4 lo,off road sure.on pavement 2 wheel.and i'll bring my stock tires. he he /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif