Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

38s and a 6in lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy427, Dec 18, 2003.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I have a 89 blazer with 6 in of lift and 35s. I want to go with a set of 38 grounghawg mudders ( forsale locally for real cheap). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAm i bitting off more than i can chew ? any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I've got 38" TSL radials and 4" lift. It can be done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

that's a lot of meat for stock axels...

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Ive got 7 inches total lift (6 springs front- ORD shackle in rear) plus and inch or so from the dana 60's. I run 38x15.5 PJ Dirt Grips. Mine fit fine, but I also cut out some fender and put on bushwhackers. DONT put on the bushwhackers, just trim it.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I run 38's with 7" of lift. I rub a little, but nothing too bad. If the price is right, I'd do it. I am also one of the few around here running 38's on 1/2 ton gear (D44 and 12b). So far I have had no issues, but I know it's a matter of time. The ONLY reason I bought them was because they were cheap. I'll be stepping back down to 36's when these wear out. Even with 36's I rub a little when flexed out.

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifcool... I had a set of bushwackers but i sold them on ebay.They looked like they would be nice on a show truck but any offroad use would destroy them.Im figuring i will have to do some trimming , i just didnt want to hack it up.How much did you have to do? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifThe axle thing worries me a little bit ,I have 10 bolts front and rear both 30 spline with and eaton posi out back and an auburn up front but ill come to that cross road when it shows its ugly face.TThanks

7. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

The price is definatally right.The guy bought a new set of weld rims and superswamper tsl radials,All for the look. He doesnt have room or even want to bother storing the old set and is letting 5 tires on 8 lug aluminum rims go for almost nothing.The best part is these are off of a show truck and have never seen the offroad.So i am jumping all over it.Also if all goes well in a week or so i will have a set of 8 lug 16.5x9.75 aluminum wheels for sale... lol

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it was me I would try to squeeze a few inches more out of your suspension or get a 3" body lift.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run 38x13 Swampers with a 4" lift and about 1" from the Dana 60. Mild to moderate fender trimming was required to normal driving and quite a bit was required for full flex while off-road. With 6" of lift you shouldn't have any problems if you don't mind some mild fender trimming. I think mild fender trimming will give you more tire clearance than a couple more inches of lift.

10. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Im goin to be doin a ord shackle flip in the rear and a few other mods to get rid of my blocks and make my suspension stonger,but i like the 6inchs i have now .I think that a little fender triming will do the trick but there is no way to know till they are on.At least i know that it isnt hopeless. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifSome of you guys have done alot more with alot less and i appreciate the help./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2 words: trim fenders.

j

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    2 words: hack fenders.

t

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you!

I'm gonna run 6" and 38s, and it takes some pretty moderate hacking to do it! Don't be shy though, it's only sheetmetal!

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

t

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tim, destroying one truck in a single sawzaw blade. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

t

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tim, destroying one truck in a single sawzaw blade. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.......I feel a "Slot Machine" coming on!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. bigmatt

bigmatt Registered Member

That is exactly what I am running, 38" ground hawgs with 6" of lift, and fender trimming.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If they rub, just trim the fenders. It looks good anyways.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

t

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the sawzall helped it. Rolling it on its side? That didn't help it too much.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Nah, the sawzall helped it. Rolling it on its side? That didn't help it too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

I run 40s on with a 9" lift. The tires clear fine, except when in a turn and flexing. 38s and 6" with hacked fenders or even fender flares looks pretty damn sweet! It will definately give the truck a mean stance. I'd get some big axles to baby!!

20. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifWELL>>> I got them.Now i just have to wait for the rims to get here--->be here on the 26th. so we will see. Yeah i think the stance is goin to be awsome.As for the axle thing, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It is all about the moolah. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif