Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

38x12.5 or 39x15 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Apr 15, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm debaiting between 38x12.5 or 39x15 swampers. a local motorcycle cop told me that they don't look for high trucks as much as they do trucks that have tires that stick out the side, plus i'm going to 4 inches of lift later also, so i think the 38x12.5 is the tire i should get but i'm still a little confused... wider means more traction and 1 1/2 inches taller means a little more axle clearance.... would the 15 inch wide tires cause problems with that low of a lift while turning or anything like that?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im runnin 5 inch and 39.5's and the only place i rub is on my front leafs, but thats only because the turning stops arent in there, but once i get that taken care of, i wont rub at all, youll have to trim a lot obviously, but thats no big deal, as for the tires sticking out, mine stick out a little bit, but ive seen Jeeps, Lowriders, Superduties, and their tires are sticking out a hell of a lot more then mine, the few times i been pulled over for mudflaps, they have mentioned fender flares but then they went on to say that if i had mudflaps on then they wouldnt have pulled me over cuz the fender flares werent that big of a deal,

but i dunno what its like down there in cali, i know there are a lot of trucks around here, so if they were pullin over everyone whos tires stuck out the sides then they would have to double the police force, and i think they have more important [censored] to deal with.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks for the info... got pics you could e-mail or online?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There's a pretty big jump between the 38x12.5 and the 39x15 Swampers. I recently intalled a set of the 38's on my truck with 4" of lift and was just barely able to get them not to rub at full stuff while turned on the front. My front springs are pretty flexy and the swaybar is disconnected. The inner fenders are cut out up to, and including part of, the upper inner fender support and the lip on the firewall was sliced and pounded flat....and they just barely clear. The extra width of the 39's, not to mention the extra height, would be difficult to clear (though there are people on this board who run this setup).

The other factors include gearing and steering, the 39's will require more modifications to work effectively because of the extra width, height, weight, and rolling resistance.

All in all, I think you could make 39's work but it just takes more effort.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] 38x15.50x16.5 Ground Hawg radials /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yeah buddy, that's what's going on my rig !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

for me i think 38's would be smarter, i don't have enough experiance yet to try and take on the 39's. Thanks

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got ~5.5 or 6 in of lift with 39.5's and I think its just right. Its not enuff tire (I want 42's) for some stuff but I am generally happy with them. IMHO, a grooved 39.5 or 42 x 15 TSL is the ultimate all around tire.

Pics are in the sig, as well as how much of your fender has to go (i don't rub, but clearence is measured in fractions)

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    for me i think 38's would be smarter, i don't have enough experiance yet to try and take on the 39's. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

the 38.5's are really narrow. I'd go for something a bit wider to get more stability, unless you want to run pizza cutters for the mud.

9. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got the 38/12.5 SXs on. The pics are in the sig but they aren't too good to show clearance. But I didn't have to trim much to make them clear. I'm running about 5" of lift. I don't have any complaints so far with them. They bite well and clean extremely well.

To tell you the truth I would have gone 39.5s the first time if not for the fact that I still have a D44 up front. If your already one ton definately go for the 39.5s.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    im runnin 5 inch and 39.5's

[/ QUOTE ]

hey wait a sec, *I* have 39.5s on 5" of lift! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

how do the 38x12.5 do in the snow?

12. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know. Haven't had them in snow yet.

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    38x15.50x16.5 Ground Hawg radials Yeah buddy, that's what's going on my rig !!!

[/ QUOTE ] You mean like THESE

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You mean like THESE

[/ QUOTE ] Sure does look good don't they ??? Only difference is I'm getting the radials. What's the real world hight ??? The radials come out to be 37.2" in real world hight on the 12" wide wheels.

15. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like THESE

Sure does look good don't they ??? Only difference is I'm getting the radials. What's the real world hight ??? The radials come out to be 37.2" in real world hight on the 12" wide wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Off the truck they are about 37.75" or so on 9.75 rims but on the truck with 25PSI in the front and 20PSI out back
    the sit right aroung 37":

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

sorry no real good pics that show clearance all that well.... all i do know is, i agree with zakk, that 39.5's while a nice size tire, are still a little too small for somethings, im wanting 42"s next also,

I would go with the biggest size that you feel comfortable with, cuz the tires seem to shrink quite a bit once you been runnin them for a month or so, when i first bought my 39.5"S i was steppin up from 38"s so i thought they were a decent jump, but now when i look at them i wish i wouldve just went ahead and got 42"s

Let us know what you do, im curious....... good luck

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like my 39.5s. I'm not sure I could handle 42s... 39.5s are already threatening to give me bad-back issues. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif heaving 125lb tires around can leave ya sore!

j