Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

39.5 mickeys. how far to air em down?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Apr 18, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

I dont have beadlocks but i want to airdown to a safe psi. I dont want the tire to pop off the rim. Im going to the dunes and the most ive ever gottem down to is 9lbs can i go lower?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

In the sand, to really know the limit, you gotta go there...!

So I say: Let 'em down till they roll off, and then go up 2 psi. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Marv

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run my 39.5 super swamper between 8 and 10 pounds with no problem. If the snow gets real deep I go down to four and take it easy. At four pounds, if I hit a good bump my tires will leak are for a second and then seal back up. I went lower once to somewhere around two to three pounds and blow all four off trying to power around a corner. Thank God I have onboard air. I dont think I would go much below 7 pounds but if you have a source of air, experiment.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Don't you only air up to like 25psi? My buddy has the same tires (39.5x18x15) on his z-71 and he never has to air them down. I personally run my 35'' mickey's at 7psi and pretty much all that we wheel is the pismo dunes. I don't see any reason that you would need to air those down any lower than 10psi, IMO baja belteds are the best sand tire anyway (besides paddles) and they seem to float well even at street pressures.

5. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

im aired up at around 21-22 lbs. I keep it on 10 to be safe but would like to go lower. 10lbs doesnt do much, the sidewall barely bends.