Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

39.5's + Narrow road + Deep ditch + Culvert + BLOWOUT = BAD DAY

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, May 21, 2006.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

The title says it all. I would have been OK if it weren't for the damn culvert, she took it real smooth until that point. Not officially totaled, but Might as well be, looks like I'll be parting out my Beast:doah: I'll have pics soon, it doesn't look too bad until you get into it, ben tthe frame badly by the motor mounts. Wouldn't feel safe driving it even if repaired due to the location of the bends......so I guess she's a part truck now. I posted a list of parts in the for sale section as a heads up to anyone who might need parts. I'll update it w/ prices in the days to come.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1564925#post1564925

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ah **** , that sucks find another frame and start swapping no reason to part it out sounds like a nice truck before this

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!
    New frame!!!

4. BigCountryx

I don't know if I've got another buildup like this in me. Kind of let all the wind out my sails and I just feel like moving on. All I've had were a couple of mudding trips on it too. What a waste. :crazy:

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Don't make any quick decisions, sit on it a while and think about it. :deal:

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get a new frame and REBUILD!!!

there is too many people getting out right now

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

With my 1st K5 I broke a front driveshaft and yoke. I figured I might was well upgrade to a 32 spline, get a HAD front, well hell I might as well get a doubler too....decided to give up on the whole project due to a lack of funds and parted it out. Lost my ass in that deal. Regret it to this day. I totally feel your frustration but hang in there.

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

**** dude that sucks but u got all the parts already, u can build again! just sit on it for a lil while, dont give up so quickly

9. BigCountryx

It's my daily driver and I need a replacement ASAP. Once that's done, I won't have the money to invest in a rebuild. You know it would just end up a truggy money pit. My wife allready hates the thing, she calls it the "poosicle":eek1: I'm sure a build of that magnitude would cause much tension in my household. Especially with a 3yr old and a 1 month old running around. A more practicle vehicle for there sake would be convenient. Boy am I turning into a wuss! I need to kick my own ass:haha:

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I found a great deal on some 6" Alcan's here and snapped them up before thinking about it. Quickly realized I was going to need new driveshafts...figured I might as well build my NV4500 then. I was already dealing with NWF at that point and it wasn't much of a leap to decide on the dual T-case kit while i was busy with it. Doing new shafts anyways, so decided on 1410 yokes front and rear. Gonna need some uber long shocks, brakelines etc etc...

So, I also got snared into a mega build when all I really wanted was a decent ride and good flex. The big difference is that I didn't sell my junk...just settled in and decided to deal with it one part at a time until I had it all together. I still have a few things left to buy, but I'm through the worst of it now. Unless you're doing a simple lift kit and 33's this hobby is not for the faint of heart.

Rene

11. BigCountryx

That's how I got to the point I am now. I just wanted to fit 35's, not build a flexy 1 ton trail rig on 40's, but one thing leads to another. I was fianlly to a point of comfort and was happy just driving it the way it was, but I know that if I tear into it again the sh!t will hti the fan and I'll go buck a$$ wild. Just can't do that and cant put the kind of work it would take for a chassis swap to just end up with the same rig I had before. Guess I'll sleep on it again. Well there wasn't much sleeping last night, just lots of thinking!

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would think long and hard. You have everything you nee for a great rig, just get a junker or new frame and build it back. Should be no shortage of frames soon as the NOLA junk heads north.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been in the simular situation. I had a 1984 1-ton 4X4, which I spent about $15,000 building it into a sweet ride. I barely had 800 miles on it when an old man in a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood had a heart attack behind the wheel, and slamed into my truck...totaling it. Since, the trucks Blue Book value was only $5000, I lost out on $10,000 of my investment.

14. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Get another blazer, everything will practially bolt right up.. Everything is easier to second time around.. I bet for 500 bucks you can have a nice frame and body with no drivetrain. Bolt her up and go. build your truck, exactly like it was, since you have all the parts. :bow:

15. stockk5

thats what im saying.. cuz what will u need? few lil odds and end parts here and there? if that?

16. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

man do i know this feeling 3yr and 7 month old :D so i'm getting a burb and getting rid of my k10 (maybe)redoing house so i need supply hauler.
    like everyone else has said think about it.i have hda my truck 10yrs and my wife is heartbroken that i might sell my truck.

17. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

sorry to here that sucks.

18. BigCountryx

:confused: 2 days after the accident, I'm toying around with the idea of a rebuild. Maybe on a truck frame. I might be able to get a short bed w/ a blown drivetrain real cheap, then I'd have to get a 3/4 ton towrig for a daily driver. If come up with a good deal on a dependable towrig, I may forge ahead.......Time will tell.

19. stockk5

do ittt

20. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

There ya go :bow: You can get a blazer, burb, or any wheel base truck for dirt cheap :bow: You could even probably part out whatever you end up replacing on the junker you're gonna buy to fix up ;)