Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

39.5's with 5-6" of lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, May 31, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Sorry for another tire fitment thread but I need to order tires pretty quick here and would like to know. I was originally going to go with 38.5x14.50R16.5 TSL SX's but I dont really want 16.5" rims. I then decided to go with the 37x14R16 Irok's but turns out they are new and no one has them till the end of june. So now im thinking 39.5" Iroks, I have a 4" suspension with a 1" body and will be swapping in 1ton axle as well as a 1" zero rate in the rear so I should have about 6" total. I know i will have to cut my fenders a considerable amount, but will i be able to keep my inner fender's with this setup? I go mudding pretty often so i want to keep them, plus this is my daily driver. I also asked this question in the "Poll" thread about cutting fenders, but thought it would get more hits if I started a new thread for it. Oh and pics would be awesome! Thanks.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can fit 40's with 6" of lift. You'll probably end up moving the front axle forward 1" or so.

6" and 40" Boggers:

[​IMG]

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Looks good! If I move my front axle forward i will have to run crossover steering right? And that means no swaybar, any chance of fitting them without moving the axle forward?

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Here is 5" with 39.5x18 boggers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

They will fit without moving forward, but at full flex they will be eating firewall. And yes you will lose the swaybar and need crossover for it to steer correct offroad.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. I think so

2. That is correct.

3. Yes, but when you flex it you're gonna have treadmarks on your firewall, and you're gonna want to be running crossover if you plan on wheeling 39.5's anyways. Besides, most lift leaf springs of the stock length are stiff enough that a swaybar is unneccesary.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's mine with 5.5" BDS springs up front and riding on 42"s.

[​IMG]

I rub just a little on the rear of the front fenders when at full articulation stuff!

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

9. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Your truck is awesome man, that is what I am looking to do with mine, I love how clean your fender trim job is. That gives me hope that I can fit 39.5s with my setup. I do not run a swaybar normally, but would like to have the option to run it for like highway trips and stuff, especially in the winter when there is a good chance of spinning out and hitting the ditch at speed which could cause a rollover without a swaybar.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

somewhere between 5 and 6" of lift (that includes 1" of body lift) and 39.5x15x15 TSLs...

[​IMG]

j

11. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That looks awesome! Do any of you guys DD your rigs with tires this big? Am i nuts for wanting to do this? Im sure the cops will think so but I have some plans for keeping it legal around here.

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

mine is legal around here and it is nice.... cops cant bother me.. however the only real reason for me to get a ticket is no mudflaps.... but after the wife saw them on she even said we will pay the ticket every time I get one.... :cool1:

13. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I plan on running mudflaps in the rear but I am gonna make them removeable. I will also have to build some sort of a drop bumper since our legal bumper height in ND is 27" which is what im at right now with 35's, but I plan on making those removable as well. The cops are also horrible about any tread sticking out of the fenders as well so I may have to use some sort of fender flair(Im thinking just some of that cheap rubber fender flare stuff), it doesnt look the best but it is the only thing I can think of that I can make work with cut fenders since I want to cut more than bushwackers will allow. It is fun though being pulled over and then seeing the cops face when he realizes youare all legal! It really seems to make them mad :grin: .

14. jekbrown

I would never DD mine simply because my tires cost over $1000 and I really don't feel like replacing them constantly because I keep burning all the tread off on asphault. If you're rich and just don't care, then sure, go for the DD w/ big meats thing... otherwise, I'd get 2 sets of tires/rims (thats what I do, 35 MTs for street stuff, 39.5s for offroad) or make the rig a dedicated trail rig.

j

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's what I plan to do too. If I can find a respectable set (read: good tread) of the 37" hummer radials, I plan to use them for my street tires, and the hummer rims (re-centered) with a set of 38 - 39.5 trail tires. At least that's the plan for now. Subject to change for no real reason at all... or not. :grin: I don't *need* my K5 for DD duty, but I would like ot keep it streetable so I can drive it when I want to, or to the trail.

16. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

It does suck burning up expensive off road tires on the street but it is definately cheaper than buying two sets of tires (1street, 1offroad). I would like to do this but more just to have smaller tires on the street for better power, milleage, smaller for the cops etc. So for now I will hafta jsut run them on the street and deal with getting new tires every couple years or so, plus i think iroks are cheaper then TSL's.

17. jekbrown

it depends on where you are starting from I guess. Lots of people planning on lifting their rig already have a set of small tires... they are lifting to put big ones on. All ya gotta do at the point is have enough $ to buy big ones and just keep your smaller ones around for street drivin. Over the loooong term, 2 sets is definitely cheaper, you're going to have to replace burned out tires at some point, its up to you wether its the $1000 meats or the $500 meats.

j

18. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I do have a set of 35's on my truck right now but they are for 15" wheels and I dont know if I want to grind my calipers after the axle swap to make 15" wheels fit. Plus they are pretty much on there last leg anyway. Maybe if I could find a set of descent used tires I would do it but for now all im worried about is getting a good set of off road tires so I can go wheeling again.