Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

396 BBC in a first gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Apr 5, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

How difficult is it to fit a 396 in a first gen blazer? Thanks

Evan

2. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

My first chevy trucks that I got hooked by were stock BIg Blocks..The 70 Chevy Cheyenne had a 396 factory bored 30 thousannths over with all TRW parts which made it a 402. That truck had a Muncie four speed in it and from a 10 mile an hour roll not much could touch it. The next truck was my first Blazer & it had the same 402 with the automatic & it rocked also but in the mud! The big block parts are out there but people don't like to let the original stuff go . GOOD LUCK

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know how HARD it was.....but that's what the P.O. put in mine! It's stroked to a 427, but it's based on the 396 block. From what I've been told, the 396 uses the small block motor mounts (like the standard 350s) so there's nothing weird about that part of the conversion.

The only obvious problem might be the clearance between the valvecovers and the firewall. That's pretty "tight" on mine.

4. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Greg - Do you have a body lift?

Evan

5. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

The 2wd did come with different motor mounts for the big block. Not sure about the 4wd but I think they were different to. I'll ask the question on www.67-72chevytrucks.com and I'm sure someone will know.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep...... 2" Body Lift

That makes a difference too.....REAL important, I should have remembered that too.

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I bolted my SB mounts to my 427, bolted it right in, oh yea, did have to modify the crossmember a bit to clear the oil pan. Nothing like a BB grunt!

8. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

Ya gotta love bigblock grunt & nothin will push you thru mud like all that torque. I just paid $1500.00 for a 72 blazer that has afresh 350 in it with a new Edelbrock intake & carb so I will see what tha same setup will do with that ...RPM vs Torque here I come!