Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

396 big block install question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, May 7, 2000.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i found a 396 big block with a 6 pack on it. i was wondering what all is need to install the engine, also is there anything i can use off my old engine such as brackets and what not? can i use the same motor mounts? any info would be helpful. I really want to get and install this motor in the big blaze!

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

big blocks and small blocks are almost totally different, youll definitely need new cooling components and motor mounts, plus all the suspension complecations. have you ever tried to tune a six pack? good luck

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

is that a factory 6 pack? if it is, you could sell that and finance the whole project!!!! I had to pay 1500.00 for one to restore my 69 vette. and the carbs were junk!!

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

kaching. Um yeah you might want to sell that six pack. They are a pain to get just right. I am putting in a 396 in mine right now actually. Guy told me i need to engine mounts but my radiator and such is fine. I have the large 3 core radiator. Weight isnt much more than my small black so it will not make that big of a difference. I think it goes from 772lbsto like 833lbs or something like that. Brackets are different to for mounting stuff...

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com