Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

396?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 20, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am planning on putting a 396 into my jimmy this summer. The question I have is I will run 454 tbi or possibly edelbrocks mpfi (the one that uses your stock tbi wiring) But does a 396 block have a hole for a kock sensor. Will it work without one? Will I have to have one put in? Also what is the difference between a 396 and a 402? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. jakesdad

jakesdad Registered Member

The knock sensor goes into the block drain hole by the starter. Just get the plug out BEFORE you put the motor in. I remembered after unfortunately. The stroke is the same on a 396 & 402. The bore is 4.094 (396) and 4.125 (402). I'm using a 454 TBI on a 400 SB, and 8 psi fuel pressure to get the injector flow rate right, or you could do the custom chip thing. I don't know about the Edelbrock system, some of the other guys on here may have tried it.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A 402 is just a 396 bored .30' over. Putting a computer controlled injection system on a 396 might be kind of challenging. I do not know if you will be able to find a set of headers, for a 396, that has an O2 sensor port. Of course you could take a set of headers, and make your own O2 sensor port.

When I was in high school I had purchased a 1970 SS Chevelle, which I owned for 12 years, with a 396 monikers on the side of the fenders, but the bore on the 1970 SS Chevelle was actually 402 cubic inch.

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Is the 454 not the same size block (like a 327 and 350). Why wont the computer injection well. And with the headers cant I just drill and tap a hole? Or just put it in the pipe at the end of the header. Thats how my dads ford is?

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, the 396 and the 454 are pretty much the same size. You could just put an O2 sensor in the exhaust and not the exhaust manifold. How burly are you going to build your 396?

The 396 in my Chevelle had:

11.1 compression pistons

298-degree camshaft

Wieand Tunnel Ram Intake Manifold

Dual 450 CFM Carter carburetors

Dual point distributor (changed over later to HEI)

Headman Headers

Pete Jackson Gear Drive

When I was a young man, fresh out of high School, I remember taking a couple of dates out in that car. The car was such a fire breathing beast that at first they thought the car was totally "Bitchen", until they road in it for a while. Then they said the car was like riding in a freight train, and it gave them a headache.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I was planning for a basiclly stock with FI for now. I will be pulling a tired tbi 350 (197000). So just about anything will be a upgrade. My plans right now are turn in my core on a "new" 396 with a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty. I will either put tbi froma 454 or the edelbrock tbi to fueil injection upgrade kit for a 454. I will also be getting a chip for a 90 v3500 with a 454 to automatic (possibly an upgrade chip) I will then be running either edelbrock tubular manifold kit or some other header with a y pipe behind my tcase to a single 3 inch pipe and then a high flow cat (possibly)to a 30 or 40 series flowmaster. What do you think? I figure if I am not satisfied it isnt to hard to add a cam and lifter kit later right? What do you think I shpuld do? I want reliable (very reliable) But I also want it to haul balls. (I will also have 4.88 or 5.13 and somewhere between 36's and 39.5's not sure yet) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Make sure you use at least flat top pistons in your 396, they are awesome, good revving motors but really suffer with dished pistons (low compression)....

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

402 is a 70-up engine, its the 396 bored out form factory,

badged them as 400 on the fenders and never as a 402

396 was only 68 and 69 in trucks, no BBC trucks before 67 form factory,

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    a hole for a kock sensor

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

sorry, I had to point it out...had me busting up laughing when I read it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Knock sensor might be a moot point anyways.

They are "calibrated" to the bore size of the engine, so what would you be able to use one off of that was right?

Not saying it won't work, but since even the 305 and 350 used different knock sensors, I imagine finding one that works correctly might be tough.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So what would I do in that case. How would I find a knock sensor that would work? What happens if I dont use one? It wont run right right??
    The engine is coming out of a 70 1 ton. It is badged as a 400. So is it a 402 or a 396. We bought it from the original owner and he said it is the original engine. Would the block numbers tell me. Or will they say 400.