Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

396bb Cam Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Clockwork71, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

I've heard that in 68 and older bb chevy engines, the rear journal on the cam is supposed to have a .125x.108 deep groove in it, and a matching cam bearing with a groove. I've also heard you can have one or the other. Does anybody know the real answer?

2. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I know from the factory it had both. They made sure you had enough oil for the lifters and rocker arm assemblies. I would think that both would be needed to ensure proper lubrication.

3. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

thanks for the confirmation. i looked around on the internet and found that the groove is .1875 wide x .109 deep. I bought this motor used and put it in my blazer to find one of the rocker arm washers was chipping out. after taking the motor apart i found the cam didn't have a groove. so i figure the top end wasn't getting enough oil and getting hot. i'm going to put the groove in this week and put my motor back in next week. hopefully this time it's the last, for awhile!

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If the cam was not grooved, I bet the cam bearing is not grooved, either.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IIRC this was only a problem for the 1965-66 BBC all others use conventional cam bearings.