Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

39's too much for 3/4t?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Oct 15, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

39\'s too much for 3/4t?

Can a 3/4 ton stock Suburban's drivetrain handle 39's? Or is a 1 ton upgrade a needed thing.

Thanks in advance

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: 39\'s too much for 3/4t?

I would say it depends on how often you run it in 4wd.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Well.. lets just say.. 30 percent of the time its in 4WD.

And boy that was a very fast response.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I broke my 3/4 ton front with 38s, some have managed to do it with smaller tires than that.

I'd say depends on engine size, locker or no, right foot, and what the intended wheeling is going to be. For just driving I'm sure it'd be fine.

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Alright. Thanks!

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I ran trails with 3/4 ton stuff and 39 boggers. i had a locker in the rear was very smart with the skinny pedal...never broke a thing...

its all in the application and the driver

Later

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

burbs are very heavy... so are 39.5s. personally, I wouldnt run them on a 3/4 ton rig. the rear axle wont be a problem, but its prolly a matter of time with the front if u wheel it hard.

j

8. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

It may also depend on what year 10bolt it is. The later 10bolts are significantly beefier than the early ones. Even if it is one of the stronger ones, I wouldn't lock it!

9. jekbrown

oh, another thing I didnt think to ask... what tire/wheel combo u plan on running? i mean, if its some heavy azz 1/2" steel-centered rims plus beadlocks and 39.5 Boggers thats one thing... if its some super light forged aluminum rims + 39.5 Iroks... thats something else. sooo, whatcha gonna use?

j

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

think about how many jeeps you see running around on 35s with those little baby axles they brake axle joints often if they wheel it hard but its quick and easy to replace those things. its all about how you drive it you can still wheel it all you want but know when not to hit the throttle.

11. jekbrown

jeeps weigh a lot less than a fullsize chevy, thats why they can beat on 1/2 ton axles and they survive (for the most part).

j

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For most Jeeps, a 1/2 ton axle would be an upgrade compared to what they come with.

Me personally, I can't wait to have the '60 in. I don't like being easy with the skinny pedal. There's a reason I've got strong driveshafts and a rev limiter. I like to hold it to the floor. I am not stupid, but I do enjoy some throttle action, as do all of us. I don't want to worry every time I put the hammer down, so I'm swapping to 1 ton stuff.

I'd say that 1/2 ton stuff can continue to be used with a set of 38s in mud only, but it WILL break, just be prepared to fix it.

I personally don't want to work on a truck in 3 feet of mud, so I want my stuff to stay together.

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

First, if its a 100% street rig... I'm sure it will do alight... BUT if its a trail rig...

Traction and vehicle weight is what its all about. If your K5 has undergone a SERIOUS diet, and weighs less than a normal rig, MAYBE you could do it for a season.

A normal K5 with a serious driver seeing 3-5 trails... NO WAY IN HELL. Tell me all the stories you like, but I've watched a 3/4T rig on 39.5s TRY to make it a season on a BUILT 44, and he just couldn't keep it together.

I'd go smaller if you don't plan to upgrade your axles inside the life of the tires.

-Dan

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    think about how many jeeps you see running around on 35s with those little baby axles they brake axle joints often if they wheel it hard but its quick and easy to replace those things. its all about how you drive it you can still wheel it all you want but know when not to hit the throttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick and easy to replace axle u-joints, or did I read that wrong? Last time I checked it was a PITA to change a axle u-joint, have to dissassemble everything from the spindles out, thats not fun nor easy. And I don't wanna hear I can do it in 20 minutes, no f-ing way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can do it in 20 minutes, but I don't have an unlimited supply of axleshafts, nor does anyone else I know, and any time I've seen them break, they typically take the shafts with them.

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have to add my 2 cents here If you are carefull they will live get some spare front shafts cause you will probably break some. I have 38s on 3/4 ton stuff I assume I will break one sometime but I havent yet. I don't have a locker in the front. Poeple told me you couldn't run bigger than 31s on my zuk I beleived them for a while and then said screw it I have had 33s and a front locker for 7 years now and have only broken 4 or 5 axles in the front and I do wheel it hard. Rocks mud jumping it out at the dunes etc. So if you really want 39.5s go for it. Nuff said /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can do it in 20 minutes, but I don't have an unlimited supply of axleshafts, nor does anyone else I know, and any time I've seen them break, they typically take the shafts with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this right, you can jack up your truck, take off the tire, dissassemble the hub, remove the hub from the spndle, remove brake caliper, remove the spindle and backing plate, remove the axle shaft, replace a u-joint or axle shaft assembly entirely, then put it all back together CORRECTLY as in properly torqing everything and setting up the wheel bearing properly...in 20 minutes? And then you can do all this in the dirt, on a trail still in 20 minutes?

I call BS! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to chase that damn internal snap ring around the inside of the hub with a greasy screwdriver until I can catch one edge with an awl and pop it out. I hate that snap ring /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I can do it in 20 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS also...It can be done in 20 minutes.. But not correctly...

20. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Last time I did a stub on the trail about a month ago... it took about a hour... with air tools (Thanks Todd!), and MANY hands helping. We took our time a little, but we got the job done - I wheeled the rest of the day! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif