Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$#@%3g Power steering Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74Chev, Feb 23, 2003.

1. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Just replaced my power steering pump with AGR$$$ unit and it still has the same problem. It doesn't want to turn worth a crap. It does good for about 1/2 turn then gets continually harder until it reaches full lock. It started doing this when I was wheeling really hard about two weeks ago. I was maneuvering over a 3 ft rock and deep mud and all of a sudden it started doing this. I figured the pump went because the inside of the reservoir had a lot of metallic debris in it and the fluid was burnt. It is like it is binding up. Tie rod and drag link seem to be in good shape, but it seems that you have to turn the wheel a lot to get any response. Steering box is about 5 years old. What would cause the steering to be so stiff?? By the way when it approaches full lock you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Can a bad box cause this? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks

2. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

If it was me i would think a bad steering box could cause it. Had a friend hit a rut real hard and if stripped his steering box in some way. Now his steering whill is upside down and it's lazy when you want to turn...Sorry that i'm no more help

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just replaced my power steering pump with AGR$$$ unit and it still has the same problem. It doesn't want to turn worth a crap. It does good for about 1/2 turn then gets continually harder until it reaches full lock. It started doing this when I was wheeling really hard about two weeks ago. I was maneuvering over a 3 ft rock and deep mud and all of a sudden it started doing this. I figured the pump went because the inside of the reservoir had a lot of metallic debris in it and the fluid was burnt. It is like it is binding up. Tie rod and drag link seem to be in good shape, but it seems that you have to turn the wheel a lot to get any response. Steering box is about 5 years old. What would cause the steering to be so stiff?? By the way when it approaches full lock you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Can a bad box cause this? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here is your problem:

First the biggest problem is in the box not the pump, then you go and replace the pump but did you at least flush the box from the old fluid?
    Hydraulic fluid when burnt gets sludgy and stick on the inside of the pump, and when you put the new pump you mixed the good clean pump with the old bad oil.
    I would rebuild the box, and flush the new box and fill with Power steering fluid not ATF and then try it.
    I am sure Matt or the professor will soon be here to add more, they have a lot of knowledge and experience...

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input so far. I jacked up the truck to see if something is binding and it worked fine, just wont turn well with weight on the tires. The fluid was not real bad, but I will flush it. (I change the fluid about twice a year.) I actually have access to a power steering flushing machine and a special cleaning solution that is used with it to clean out the box.

Any other ideas anyone??

5. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Take them both off and get a new box and return the pump because it's full of metal now and unless you completely tear it down and check it all out your asking for trouble.
    Your box is just flat out Fakwed!!!

6. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

i have the same problem..... havent started replacing anything yet. let me know what it is.