Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3G Welding Cert

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by ARAMP1, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Well, I did a practice 3G welding certification test and it turned out okay. Basically, I welded up two plates into one. Ground the welds smooth. Cut two strips perpendicular and then bent them. One is an outside bend the other is an inside. There can be no cracks or breakage. I'll probably weld up a couple more before the inspector comes and I take the real certification test in a week or two. Then I'll be a state certified welder. Whoohoo!! :pimp:

DSC02663.JPG

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool, what does that certification allow you to do? Just work for the state or maybe weld for the Air Force in your case?

-Avery

3. ARAMP1

I’m not really sure what the privileges are. I think it’s similar to being ASE certified. However, the Oklahoma only certifies arc welding for some reason. I do know that the Air Force isn’t going to let me touch a welder.

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:D I can't even imagine what you have to go through before they let you do any work for that matter on Air Force equipment.

Why are you getting this if you don't know what it's good for?

-Avery

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Backing plate? bevel angle? Process?

The two different cert's i've done are CWB (long ago expired) and more recently AWS D1.1 unlimited thickness. The AWS is two pieces of 1" thick plate. 45 degree bevel on one plate, the other is 90 degrees. Plates are 1/4" apart at the root and are tacked to a 1/4" thick backing plate. They are tested non-destructively by X-raying...

The CWB test is a destrucive bend test similar to your pic's. Also uses a backing plate which must be gouged off after welding. There are a couple of different versions, including doing side bends on the thicker plates. Basically they'll cut a 3/4" wide coupon and bend it sideways at the weld.

Rene

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I have 2G, 3G and 4G stick welding certs. they are for structural welding. I took welding class and got these certs so I could hire in down at the docs as a mechanic if I decided to go that route. which I might be doing soon. I have allready mailed resume's in and I still have to get some to my bud who is a mechanic down at the docs. its all part of the longshoremans union but I think mechanics are a different chapter in the same union.

down there, its not what you know but who you know, and fortunately I happen to know who I need to know to get hired in there, but it still will take some time. mechanics start at about 36/37 bucks an hour. 2, 3,and 4G certs are required to hire as a mechanic.

my machinist background will help alot too.

7. ARAMP1

Yeah, all I do any more is break stuff that others have to fix. :wink1:

First off, the knowlege gained from me just taking the class is invaluable. I've welded here and there before, but to go through this formal learning process with welding has increased my understanding of the welding process more than another 5 years of experience of me messing around with it would have. I'm hopeing that it will eventually help me land a job, however pretty much all of the railroad and airplane welding jobs are TIG. They have their own QA process, etc. I believe that having it on a resume will help get you hired over someone that doesn't. That's why I'm getting it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  8. ARAMP1

Very cool. Have you thought about going for your 6G? That would cover everything. I've thought about it, but the class I'm taking is only three months, but I start another class half way into the last month of the welding class and I didn't feel that with my limited skill level, I'd have enough time to work towards the 6G. 3G will do for me for now.

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the docs dont require a 6G to work down there. I would get it IF it was required. 6G is "all positions" cert. my neighbor and bud is a 6G certified welder and is a damn good stick welder. he is not as good a TIG welder as he thinks he is though. he works for a company that does installs of huge airconditioning units in big buildings, either retrofit or new construction. he maps out ALL the miles of piping and does some of the welding from time to time.

he is in the pipe fitters union. his line of work requires 6G cert. he is also a forman and makes insane money. I know he was making just over 45 bucks an hour but just last week he told me he just got a couple doller raise. he absolutely hates his job though but loves the money. its insane responsibility. I have been to one of his work sites, I would not want his job for the money.

10. ARAMP1

I'd have to hate it a whole hell of a lot not to do it for 45 an hour.