Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3rd seat

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Scrubby, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

My '77 never had a 3rd seat. I have looked under the carpet in the back and the mounts are not there for a seat either. I am thinking of heading to a bone yard and grabbing one. Anyone ever done this? What do I need to get and does it involve cutting the brackets out and welding them into my sub?

2. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 77 was the same way. I just took some measurements to the boneyard, and got a mini-van rear seat that would fit. Then I just bolted it in.(the first time around) That is the cheapest way to go. You could cut some out of a newer burb and then weld them in, but this will be alot tougher because of alignment issues, plus suburban third seats can be hard to come by in the color you want and expensive. Or you can just replace the entire body from the firewall back with a newer body! (my second time around) Mini-van; cheaper, easier, and better color selection. Good luck.

Mike.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

as far as the mounting brakets go, both of my 3rd row seats just bolt to the floor, through holes that are in those wierd looking divots on the rear floor. the bottom nut is welded to the body, and sealed up at the factory, and the seat just bolts in on top of that. if you really wanted a 3rd row seat, I have a friend who might give one away. only concievable problem with it is it should be recovered... its mostly black, and out of a 74.

-Rich

4. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I don't believe I have those divots. Anyone got a picture? I've never looked at how the rear seat mounts in a sub with a 3rd seat. Could a mount be fabbed up?

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

they just bolt through the floor boards... I'll snag some pictures of it when I get home, of both my 77 without a seat mount, and my 73 with a seat mounted.

-Rich

6. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

That would be great! Thanks Rich.