Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3rd Shift

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhound72, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Does any one here work 3rd shift

I am going to be starting a new job in a few weeks on 3rd making some good cash so I can get my truck bult

The ??? I have is how do you deal with screwing up your sleep

I rilly want to do this but dont want to fall asleep on the job

All advice welcome

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I can't give you first-hand advice, but my Dad has been working 3rd shift (don't call it "3rds" or he'll blow an o-ring) for 20 years. He only gets 4-5 hours of sleep a day, though. He'll come home at 8am, doze off for a while, get up and go to the Amvets or Elks, or if I'm home hang out with me. He'll stay up until about 6pm then take another nap before leaving at 10:30pm. Don't know how he's done it this long without crashing.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I go to school from 7-1 weekdays, plus I work from 2 till midnight sometimes even later, lets just call it red bull and speed metal !!!! and a severely bad attitude !!!!

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i work 7 days a week, the pay is killer! but boy, am i tired :)

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I worked 3rd shift at an aluminum casting foundry for about 5 years. I liked overnights way better than afternoons, because with afternoons, I only had a window of a couple of hours in the AM to get anything done.

My usual pattern was this.. I'd work from 10:30 PM to 6:30 AM.. hit the shower when I got home, eat something, then crash until about 3:30 - 4PM. If I had something special to do, I could crash later if I had to. My workweek was from sunday night thru thursday, with friday & saturday being the weekend. On fridays, I might catnap and give myself essentially a three day weekend. Overnights are great 'cause you can use your day to do stuff like attend classes, go to the doctor, or my favorite, look for another job.

It took maybe 3 weeks to get used to it, but what you've got to do is realize that you have to sleep.. don't play with the kids, visit with the wife, or work on the truck all day. When it's time to crash, listen to your body. plenty of times I fell asleep at redlights on the way home because I wouldn't sleep the day before. The body will take the sleep it needs, and it doesn't care what you're in the middle of. I emphasize this sleeping thing because graveyard shift guys are usually too cool for sleep, until they fall asleep at work and get fired, or get real sick.

Eat right too.. In the mornings when I got home, I'd be on the porch grilling chicken waving to the neigbors as they went to work.. Bring a decent lunch and don't eat out of vending machines.. My brothers at the foundry used to bring me soul food from home we'd warm up on the furnace.

To get used to sleeping, make your room as dark as possible, unplug the phone, and give everyone in the house orders to be quiet. Eventually, you'll be able to sleep anytime / anywhere, but it takes time to get to that point.

One last point.. you'll meet people who will go to the bar at 7 AM and drink because it's "after work"... run.. they are scary people. Seeing the alcoholic wrecks I had to work with there really blunted my enthusiasm for drinking.. a lot. Watch for the overly friendly guys who want you to party with them all the time, and never seem to get sleepy. ( snort ).

Sorry to say, 3rd shift is great if you need the extra money and the schedule agrees with you, but the derelict collection can be astounding. It can be like 3 am at dennys every night.

Tom

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

No Doz is your friend for the first few days, then you get used to it. i actually miss working 3rd shift!

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

actually, the only bad thing about 3rd shift IMO, is trying to to to sleep when the sun is up, if you get off that late. I've been on 2nd shift, if that's what you want to call it, for over 10 yrs now. I go in at 3:30 and get off between 1:30 and 2:00 am. I stay up until 4 or 5 and get up normally around 12 pm.
    but, I had may of had a small adjustment to make at first, but didn't take long because I love going to bed late and getting up later than the chickens. most of the 1st shifts around here start at 6 am and I'm not a morning person. I function better with 4 hrs of sleep and staying up all day and night than getting up that early.

I personally would like 3rd better because I could see my wife before she leaves for work, sleep and be awake when she gets home, spend time with her, then be at work while she is sleeping.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i worked 3rd for about 6 months on a construction job, i worked from 9pm to 6am. id sleep from 7-8 am to 4pm get up and get what i had to do done. it sucked that way because alot of the places here close at 5 and if i over slept a little i had to wait the next day.

my uncle has worked 3rd shift for 20 plus years, he works 11-7. he sleeps for 4 hours when he gets home, gets up at noon or so and then back to bed at 6pm. i think this is the better way, but i could never get on this type of sleeping schedule.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The only problem I had developed when I ended my night shift career. It took me years to get back on a day pattern and I still have a tendency to stay up late and want to nap in the afternoon. Having a sleeping mask will do wonders. You are probably going to feel like crap for a few weeks.

Curse of the werewolf, M O O N that spells moon.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i just got on that shift, 2300-0700 but i like it alot better than the night shift 1500-2300, it just sucks, you never see your family

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It was okay, I liked it, but my body didn't.

We don't have a third shift where I am now; but there's been times that I've been at work when the sun went down (winter time) and was still in the car when the sun came up. Those days suck, just wish the dispatcher would wake me up before end of shift so I get home on time......................... :D

12. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Like 3rd shift but when i got my chance to go back i turned it down. It was more of a 1/2 2nd and third. 1930-0600 That would really mess up my super time. :p:

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

at my job we flip flop between "days" and"nights"... one being 7:30am-3:30pm... the other 3:30-11:30pm. We (dunno why) rotate every 3 months... the first week always sucks but after that all is good. I would imagine 3rd shift would be similar.

j

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've never done it... But usually 3rd shift workers are the crazy, social outcasts... Or they become them :)

At least around these parts. Only Sharis and sometimes King Soopers has normal people working at 2 AM...

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i work graveyard 11pm to 7am its great :D yes i am an outcast! :D

screw the daytime.,. unless its really super nice out or something,

i couldnt do swing or flip flop, theres no way

i worked second shift for four years it was fine also

16. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Perhaps you are... I'm talking more about the weird lady at Little America who works the 3rd shift :)

She's also the lady with cars full of stuff, a house full of stuff, about a million cats, talks to herself, and sleeps in the women's employee restroom until noon after work instead of going home... That kind of crazy, social outcast... Cool lady though :D

17. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

been working a 10 hour day/ 7 day a week outage for the last 3 weeks on nights. The outage is over as of last night, but still on nights...I hope they put me back on days though.

I actually like nights ( my wife does't like me working them though)

My suggestion :

go to CVS pharmacy or any other pharmacy and buy a slumber mask. You know, one of those satin-looking mask like you see folks on TV wearing.

get some earplugs

turn off the phones and put a "day sleeper" sign on the front door to deter daytime visitors.

I actually get better sleep like this than I do working day shift.

you can still hear you alarm clock throught the earplugs, or get someone to wake you up like I do

18. mudhound72

Thanks for the help and direction for this change I am sure that I will be able to do it just need help to ease the way.

Thanks again :confused:

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I worked 'afternoons' (or second shift) for 7 years straight. Always four 10 hour shifts and three day weekends. I stopped doing that in August and even now 7 1/2 months later my body is still on that schedule. I was always happy splitting up my sleep time. I'd get home and be asleep by 2 am, up at 6:30 to get the wife to work and back home by 7:30. Then i surfed CK5 for 45 minutes and dropped my eldest daughter off at school and spent the rest of the day with my youngest daughter.

Usually around 11 am I'd go for a 2 hour nap while my daughter would watch a movie or play quietly. Then I'd pick my other duaghter up from school and go to work, after leaving them both with a neighbor. They'd be there for 45 minutes or so until my wife got home from work.

Problem is I still cannot get myself to sleep at a reasonable hour, although it's slowly getting better.

Another place i worked at had a crazy 6 week rotation.

Week 1, M-Th nights, F,S,S off
    Week 2 same
    Week 3, M,Tu days, W,Th off and F, Sa days, Su off
    Week 4 same
    Week 5 M,Tu off, W,Th days, F, Sa nights, Su off
    Week 6 same.

All 10 hour shifts. Days was 6:00am to 4:30pm...nights was 4:30 pm to 2:30 am with a paid lunch.

You never got a chance to get into any routine. The body clock can't make sense of an insane person's 6 week schedule. I spent the entire time awake when I should have been sleeping, and trying not to fall asleep when I was supposed to be awake.

Anyways, some shift work is cool. Weird rotations will just make you old and cranky in no time.

Oh yeah...just as I'm almost used to dayshift again my boss asked me if I'd work afternoons again for a while. :crazy:

Rene

20. mudhound72

Well I survived a few days, it is not that bad, kind ov nice cause all of the big wigs are not around. The one thing that is nice is how fast the night goes by. So far every one I talked to on third all are rilly cool. I just keep thinking on what I am going to be able to do to my truck next :woot: :saweet: