Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3spd to 5spd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I was just curious how difficult it would be to put a newer model 5spd in place of a 3spd. It's not in a blazer but close enough(77 2wd p/u). I've seen them in classifieds for as little as $150.00 before. Are the dimensions the same? Will the bellhousing bolt up? Can I use the manual clutch stuff? Just curious if any one has done this before. Fifth gear would be nice on the hi-way.
    Thanks-Russell

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If the 3 speed and 5 speed are both out of a small block they should bolt up. Clutches and linkages would just have to be worked out. Shouldn't be too tuff. Check out some Truck/Hotrod mags. I see this kind of stuff all the time....I'm a lazy "auto" guy though.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Russell Keys

yeah, The engine's a 6cyl so I don't think an auto would do too much for it. Thought fifth gear would drop the rpm's a bit. All part of my quest for better mileage. I guess I could always go with a granny-4spd and stuff some 35's up under the rear! I was afraid the linkages might be a problem. I was hoping for a weekend bolt in project.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The 5speed is the NV4500. It uses master cyclinder/slave cylinder hydraulic line.
    My 4speed stick (SM465) in my 76 truck uses the mechanial linkage.
    You cannot use the mechanical linkage on the NV4500, you have to switch to the hydralic setup (which I like better anyway.) It is not a weekend boltup. With a lot of planning, it could be.
    I'm not sure about the rear driveshaft issue. I don;t know if the 4500 is longer than a 465, But I would think it would be.
    Best bet would be to ask someone who has done it (which I haven't.)
    Have you really seen them for $150? That's a killer price. Usually want in the $1000 range. I'd buy it for that price and even if you don't use it, you could sell for more than just $150.
    -- Mike

5. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Manual, or automatic?
    The NV3500 out of the 4.3L V6 and the NV3500 out of the full size will work, but it won't be a bolt in weekend project. It possibly would require you switching to a hydraulic clutch setup. Unless you do alot of towing, I would pass on the NV4500. But at $150, buy me 2 of them!!!

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

6. Russell Keys

The 5-spd was out of a 95 1/2 ton p.u with a v-6 in it. I was thinking of using the manual clutch and my bellhousing. this should work as long as the tranny will bolt up to my bellhousing and the input shaft is the same length. Shouldn't it?

7. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, the NV3500 uses and integrated bellhousing. As in it won't come off. So this would present a big problem.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com