Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3x3 rocker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, May 10, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where do you make the cuts to replace the rockers at? Do you have to brace anything while you have the stock rocker out? And what are the welding points to get the new one in? Any pics would help alot too. TIA

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ooh Ooh, I'd like to know this as well. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Why 3x3"? Why not 1x3 or 2x3. That is ground clearence. I haven't done it yet but me an a friend who has 1x3" are going to make mine out of 1.5x3".

I know he cut his rocker supports out then rewelded them to that area. Then added some bracing at the front and back.

Harley

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

my pics are here
    We had to clearnce the the inner section of the fender above the mounting bolt to get the 3x3 up high enough. I also had to cut out a section and I welded plates back on to make about 3/8" of clearence, then in the plate i welded back in we cut a 1.25" hole for the fender bolt to go into, then ran two more bolts though there since there wasn't alot of GOOD stuff to weld too. I guess some people cut that fender bolt out but I thought I'd like to have it incase I ever desided to swap on a new set of fedners. I have to say I like 3x3 look, but 2x3 would fit, the bad thing about 2x3 it the fact your bring the ground closer to the doors. At least with 3x3 you have SOME outside edge to slide on. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I had all the floors out, looking back welding a brace in-between the front section of the door opening and the rear would have been smart (and in the way all the time), You can see the one pic of me pulling the body back together with the come-a-long. I think if you still had floors there would be no problem.

With as many people looking for slider pics, I have compiled all that I have saved and posted them here

I used these for ideas and references. If these pics belong to certian people and you want your name or email on them let me know, OR if you dont want them here let me know and I will pull your pics... I'm not out to screw anyone or piss anyone off posting all the pics /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm sure you've read this but it might help:
    Rocker Knockers Not those kind of knockers! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks, looks like something to i need to do /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

before getting rid of the entire top /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

I just did mine about two weeks ago and am very happy with how they turned out. I just cut the outer part of the rocker off on the lip like [​IMG]
    Then I cut out the hole for the fender bolt like
    [​IMG]
    but I would probably suggest bolting through the slider like jjlaughner did. I think that will make replacing the fender much easier.

Then I clamped in place and started welding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    on that back (under) side I just put 5 welds about 5” long.
    I beat the crap out of them on the beginning of the waterfall and didn’t even get a dent just some scratched paint. I used 3x3 .120 wall sq tubing. with the rocker cut out like i did I didn’t even loose a ¼ in of clearance….. .hope that helps

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I most especially like the coffee can supprt mechanism y'all got goin there! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Excellent pictures.

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

9. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Some more pics of the same thing

Slider work party

We ended up welding the 3x3 rockers a little too high on the red/white K5. The doors didn't quite shut all the way after we were done. This didnt really matter due to the fact this is a trailer queen rig now. So my suggestion would be to not cut higher than the lower part of the inner door jam. We cut almost to the top of the door jam.... ya live and ya learn!

10. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

hmmmm..... never tryed to put the doors back on.... o well if they dont fit i will just cut the bottom of them off for better drainage.... just rember you dont need much heat on that 16ga stock floor /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that looks like a tRusty mobile in there
    I am gonna have to see if he will show me his ride again
    after removing my saddle tanks I think I really need to address this area
    I guess I could just mount the tanks back in and convert them to a storage area

I like the "other" folder as well /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif