Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.10 to 4.56 in a 14B

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, May 9, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got 4.10s in there now and need to put in 4.56s. What do I need for the swap? Carrier change? I already have a Detroit locker in as well. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    Sherman, Tx
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I've wondered this too. Since the 4.10 and down detroit reused the stockopen carrier, if you regear to 4.56 and up you would then need a brand new Detroit, right?
    I have seen where you can buy thick gears (fit a 4.56 on a 4.10 carrier) and this would seem like a better choice than buying a new detroit and a new carrier.
    Just thinking out loud.
    -- Mike

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Guys, dont do anything to the stock carrier!!! The 4.10 and higher gears use the same carrier, whether its the four pin or three pin spider gears. The 4.56 and lower gears use a different carrier that is thicker than the 4.10 and higher carriers.

In order to use 4.56 gears on the 4.10 carrier, you need to order the 'extra-thick' gears from whoever you are getting them from. These 'extra-thick' gears are just that-thicker gears to fit the 4.10 carrier so you dont have to search for the 4.56 carrier, which could get a little costly. Very simple.

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey Laketex ! Havent seen ya in a while. Hows your bobbin coming along?

- SlyDog [​IMG]

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can get the special "thick" aftermarket 4.56's to fit on your 4.10 case - but that could be pricey.

Get regular 4.56's and the proper case from a boneyard. Your Detroit will swap right into it (it just replaces the spider gears)

6. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Is there any other gear choices between 4.10 and 4.56 avail for a 14bolt????

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not in between the two, no. They have 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13. Thats all I know of. I have heard of some people say there were 3.08's, but I have never seen nor read of any.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. I haven't even run this axle yet, so I was really hoping i didn't have to get a new detroit. I'll research both options and see what comes of it.

Slydog- I've not touched the truck in about 2 months sorry to say. Been working about 70 hours a week and planning a wedding, doing a lot of stuff with the lady. Although things should settle out by the end of this month and I'll start to haul on it again. I only lack a few little things before she's on the road!!!

[​IMG]
    Sherman, Tx
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!