Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.10s, 39s and 700r4 = bad??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 22, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

OK I am getting a 700 R4 for free pretty soon, if nothing else it can sit for parts for some future thing or a friend. But I'm thinking maybe it should go in the K5. But the k5 has 39.5s and 4.10 gears. Would it be crazy to try and wheel with that setup? The K5 won't be on the street just off road. Someday I will get 5.13s in the axles but thats not in the budget at the moment(hopefully next summer).

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

I'm running a large cooler and 4.56's and can wheel just fine. i'd love to have 5.13's but i'd rather save the money for a doubler. on the street i just stay out of OD and it cruises nicely.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run 4.56s + 700 + 39.5s offroad... i dont think I'd go much higher in gears. I am gonna go 5.13 as soon as $ allows it. whatever you do, if you decide to run a 700, get on summits web page and get a B&M 28,000# rated stacked plate style cooler and a remote filter + temp gauge kit. considering the price of a rebuild, its CHEAP insurance...

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well I'm planning 5.13s but no doubler, I want to keep weight down and don't want to run a 205 or 203 let alone both /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. 241 with SYE is the plan.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

then get the gears 1st... then look to do the tranny swap and you'll be set. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well I had planned on having the k5 trail ready by say january, with the coming s10 body swap and tranny swap thrown in I don't expect till middle of spring so I should be able to do gearing by then.

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

4.10's in my set-up right now on 36's. New gears weren't quite in my budget either. It's not an optimum set-up, but it is tolerable. With the 39's and the 4.10's, I think it'll be a dog even in drive. But if you use a huge cooler, it should protect the tranny until you can afford the new gears.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yes.

hold on to the 700R until the gears go it. Even with 5.13's OD will be this fictious gear you shouldn't be in unless you are going through Kansas.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I would hold off untill you get lower gears(that 1st gear u got now is probably whats keeping you happy if you do any crawling) but If you do put the 700R4 in I dont think you will blow it out but just over heat it, make sure you get a Big Cooler (might wanna look into a electric fan for it) and Temp Gauge

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the rig won't see any movement except around the driveway and onto the trailer to go to the gear shop before I get the money for the gears.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a 700R4, 241, 4.56 and 35s in the K5 which works rather well all the way around... I think the 39s with 4.10s would put the hurt on it if your not carefull.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Frankly i would avoid using a 700R4 altogether. But I'm biased, thats because i just hauled the 4th one out of my truck. Its an 88 2wd with a 305 and 3.08 gears. This last tranny was a GM interceptor model with a big ass aftermarket cooler. It had about 7,000 miles on it. At least its under warranty but it aint going back in. Im getin a TH400. lack of overdrive would be a worthwile trade off for reliability.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am not a fan of them either but go with what you got and I'm getting a free 700r4. I will take one of the 2wd TH350s I have sitting around and convert it and get it built up but for now 700R4 is the way it shall be.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is nothing wrong with a good 700R4, If you are having problems wasting trannies after a few thousand miles than there is something else wrong. I doubt if a new 700 goes after 7,000 miles more than once that it's the trannies fault. Are you running the water cooler also? I doubt a th400 will do much better if those 700's blew that quick.

15. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well if you have got a view or idea of how I drive...

I run a t-400, 454 and I like to roast the 38's did I mention I do this by nutral dropping it! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I swear at least once a day and more on a weekend when I dont have to worry about getting up for work the next day.

Today alone I did a real nasty one up to 4 grand and dropped the lever to first then finally put it up to drive at 35 or 40 mph after staying on the the gas hard.

If my tranny can handle it I will stay with them, I also have a spare so I have some piece of mind knowing that I can just swap another one in.

t-400 all da way! I run a shift kit and a cooler that is just floppin around unmounted in front of the radiator /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Just drive it into the ground /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Maby I just figured out why I am eating up my rear tires? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I really wish I could understand what kind of person would yank a perfectly good SM 465 and install a 700R4 in its place and claim to desire to do any type of crawling. If you're going ot have insufficient gear, at least do it in a rig with 6.55:1 first.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I run a t-400, 454 and I like to roast the 38's did I mention I do this by nutral dropping it! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I swear at least once a day and more on a weekend when I dont have to worry about getting up for work the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]That is just stupid and immature in my opinion.
    Destroying things on purpose is just plain idiotic.
    You want to burn rubber... Buy a muscle car with some HP,manual, and stock spring suspension that won't hook up worth a sh!t and then go and act dumb. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. supersize75

ya but you sear by manuals, he want to convert to the dark side,...come on over little timmy, torque converters are your friends /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ya but you sear by manuals, he want to convert to the dark side,...come on over little timmy, torque converters are your friends /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't swear by anything. I have seen the advantages of both. I simply cannot understand why someone without enough gear would give up the 6.55:1 low. If he already had 5.13s or something it'd be a different story, but in the mean time, why not just keep the 465 with the awesome gear?

Just makes no sense to me to give up that gear when you don't have it in the axles, yet.

As to come to that side, I was there. My truck was an auto and I converted. Nothing really could make me go back. A 700R4 is not sufficiently durable for my use, and a non-OD auto with enough gear to attempt crawling would not be streetable.

20. supersize75

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That is just stupid and immature in my opinion.
    You want to burn rubber... Buy a muscle car with some HP,manual, and stock spring suspension that won't hook up worth a sh!t and then go and act dumb. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I built this blazer to suit my interest if you want to run weld rims and have a truck you take care of that is your deal. I waited 2.5 years to drive my truck and at 4 mpg and if murdering swampers, panels a 350 and a 14 bolt makes me happy then so be it. I don't complain to much and mommy or daddy don't fix my problems so it is all good with me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um that Is why I said to get a t-400 If it is holding up for me then it should work great for a sane person /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I realize we have different perspectives, but we also have different interest. I enjoy the whole braking my truck then building it better, way of doing things.

My truck is pushed to its limits in one way or another almoast daily, its similar to how everyone gets upset over monster garage. The first day I drove my truck I crunced a rear quarter at Marv Spingers house and I laughed, it gave me a reason to build a higher bumper and cut off that metal. That is just how I am, my truck looked good but that is only because I made it that way, it was totaled befor but seeing that I owed 3000 bucks a buildup soon followed and here I am today /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The build up is the funnest part for me, I really enjoyed it and thats why I am trying to find another 73-75 to build into a "nice" blazer like what yours is.

Driive it into the ground...then rebuild it..again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif