Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.3 in a 'Burb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

OK, the 340,000MI 350cid in my 'Burb is getting really tired. I like to be diferent, and I see them for cheep in my neck of the woods alot, so I was thinking of a 4.3 for a replacment. I'm thinking that it would have a little more power than my curent V 7 (1 near dead cyl.) and might even get better milage. It would be a little lighter. And I have never seen one in a 'Burb before. Any one got any exp. with this, or advice for me? It's the one in my sig. SM465, NP208, 4.10's 35's striper model, only thing power is steering and brakes.

2. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

It's an interesting idea.

My biggest concern would not be HP it would be off idle TQ. I would think a tired 350 would still be better off idle.

The other thought I have is concerning the cost. You should be able to get a 350 short block for cheep and the original parts are all interchangeable (intake, heads, exaust ect.).

But I also like to see somthing differant. If you don't mind the time invested try it and let us know. If you don't like it you could resell the 4.3 and start over.

Good luck and whatever you do let us know.

3. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

If you want a new motor because 350 is tired you'll feel the same about a brand new 4.3... we had a vortech 4.3 in an s10 and the thing couldn't even pull a boat. The older 4.3's had more grunt and less top end... I say v8 but its your rig.

4. muddy81ca

muddy81ca Registered Member

are u serious????4.3 in a burban your better off with a new 350

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

tree fitty..

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My old 3/4-ton 2wd had a 4.1L (250) and the 465 trans. It drove great with 31's and 4.57 gears :haha:

But my buddy had me beat though... F350 dually with a 223 L6 and 5.13s :haha: :haha:

Seriously though... you can move a lot of truck with the 465 trans. I think the 4.3L is very feasible. However, the 4.10/35s situation... well... say goodbye to starting in 2nd ;)

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Eh--why not??...

Gm put camelhumper 250 sixes in vans and pickups,and probably Suburbans too,I cant see a 4.3 V6 being much worse!..I saw a 82 G10 van just like mine once,that had a 229 V6 from the factory!..the guy said it was a bit sluggish,but not bad once you got it going,it could cruise at 75 mph!..it got 16 mpg,my straight six gave 16-18 when I first got it...it fell to 12-13 as oxegenated gas was phased in here in the mid 90's..

Be aware it might not live long though..thats quite a strain on such a small motor to be pulling around constantly,especially if you have high gears or lots of hills....might last 50 thousand miles unless you tow or haul weight in it..:crazy:

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

yeah man do it. find one hooked to a nv4500 (shouldn't be hard, it was a popular combo in base c10's) then drop in some 5.13's for your 35s and go!

let us know how it works out.

9. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Now I had not thought of that, that's a good point. And I bet working it that hard I wouldn't get any better milage either.
    Well.... I thought it might be fun, but I don't want to go to the trouble just to have to pull it again. I gess I will pull the great running 350 out of my parts truck and put it in when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for the input!