Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.3 litre V6

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 19Jimmy87, Aug 8, 2002.

1. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

This is probably a dumb question to many of you, but is there a reason NOT to use a 4.3 in my JImmy? I need a new engine, and have been looking at 350's and 400's. Then I seen a 4.3 with very low miles and started thinking. It would be cheaper on gas, and thay can produce more horsepower than my 305, what is the deal?

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hheaaooollll no! go for a 350 if your doing a new engine!! true that gas mialage pretty much sucks but all that pays of with all that power!!i dont even know if a little v6 would fit with out modifications...?

Bryan

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need TORQUE to get that big ol' truck moving. The 4.3 just doesn't make it... HP is a function of torque and RPM, so don't look only at HP numbers. Wind a tiny engine up high enough and it can make some pretty impressive HP numbers, due to the RPM part of the equation. I think the 4.3 is pretty weak, even in my little S-Jimmy. I can't imagine what a slug it would be bolted into a 5,500 lb brick with the aerodymanics of a barn. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Point well taken.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Not to mention a 350 will have more power than the 4.3 and if you want to build it, it will be MUCH cehaper to build up a 350.

Ken H.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Would gas mialage be all that much better? the 4.3 would half to work alot harder to push the weight so would you really be saving anygas unless you always staying at a stedy speed?

7. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

The GM 3.8 and 4.3 are nice torquey motors for small trucks and light duty applications. I really wanted to put a Pontiac supercharged 3.8 into my last truck which was an 87 4runner. But when I started looking at how minimally the Toyotas were designed, I was going to have to swap trannys and drivetrain to handle the extra power and it would have been a much bigger project than I could afford. Would have been fun though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif