4.3 Vortec -> 5.7 Vortec?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Russell, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2000
    Hey guys!

I recently took a trip to pick up a cab, four fenders, a core support and hood, loaded it all onto a light (less than 500 lb) trailer, and hooked it up to my 96, and was soooorely dissapointed in that engine's ability to tow even a very light load. Heck, I want / need to put three times that much weight behind it next summer for camping...

I was originally considering a 5.3 swap, but I'm thinking I may just go 5.7 Vortec instead, for the ease of installation as those trucks came with them stock.

My buddy has a 98 1/2 ton with a Vortec 350 in it which he recently smashed, and I'm considering buying the thing to do the swap.

The main reason why it is attractive is that it will go quick, basically unplug the 4.3's wiring, pull the engine, grab the 5.7, and it's engine mounts, drop it in, then use the 5.7's wiring and ECM. Shouldn't have to worry about anything but modifying my tach signal to work with the V6 tach. Exhaust should be easy too, just use the stock exhaust from the donor truck, less a foot or two of the exhaust hacked out from the center as the donor is an extended cab longbox, and mine is a regular cab longbox.

What do you guys think?

Anyone here done this swap?

Or should I just live with the V6, and hurry my sorry butt up on the K25 and use it to tow next summer?
  2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Jan 12, 2005
    id say go for it if you can scoop the truck for cheap and have tools/space. there really isn't a better way to do it. having a "complete" donor truck is about the best position to be in for a complete swap.