Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.3 Vortec question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 95 S10 Blazer for my Daughter and the engine has a knock in it. So, I am going to fix/replace the motor.

What I would like to know is-

Will a 1993 Vortec 4.3 have any issues being swapped in?

Will a 1990 TBI 4.3 have the same short block?

I found both these motors locally and I may need to buy one of them if my block is shot. I am hoping a crank grind and possibly a line bore will solve the problem. I really don't want to do a complete rebuild since the rebuilders up here in AK charge 2 or 3 times what I think is a fair price /shrug

So I may pull one of those other blocks and slap a bearing/gasket kit on it and drop one of those in.

Also - Any advice on repairing a spun bearing? What are my options? I saw a sleeve kit for sale... Will that keep me from a line bore?

Any help will be appreciated

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I did the 4.3 in my '86 C10, but it was carb.
    Both blocks will be roller blocks, minor differences, but the same for you purposes. The think the '93 is TBI and your 95 one is CPI or something.

Well, sorry, I know that's not much help.
    I got alot of help and advice from the good folks at http://www.s10forum.com, great people. Free to register and ask questions, so I'd highly recommened that.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All I can offer is don't get fixated on that "Vortec" moniker. GM was using it on 1988 4.3's, unlike the V8's where the "Vortec" is useful in identifying an engine that had CPI, not TBI. (TBI ending in 1995 for trucks)

So even if they changed a ton of things on the motors, the valve covers could still both say Vortec.