Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.56 and 35's need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Aug 9, 2001.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

4.56 and 35\'s need help

Need help with my 88 blazer, planning on putting 4.56 gears in it this weekend myself, i have never done this before and was wanting some helpful knowledge, tips, ideas, criticism, or someone in the memphis, tn area that wouldnt mind helping out. any info would help and the best place to buy the gears and what kind of installation kits i will need to put them in does anyone have gears from 4wpw they have the lifetime warranty so if i screwed it up i could take them back no ?'s asked and also will i need any special tools?

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Re: 4.56 and 35\'s need help

4WPW Did The 4.56s And Lockers On My 82. They Will Not Warranty These Gears With 35 Inch Tires.I Would Not Attempt To Replace Them Myself . If They Are Not Set Right You Will Destroy Them Real Quick . Also They Will Not Warranty For Improper Setup If You Do It Yourself. So I Did It The Easy Way And Let 4WPW Do The Work.

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Replacing gears is a long, tedious, and tough task for someone who hasn't done it before. I am kinda refreshing myself on it as it has been since tech school since I've setup a rear. Unless you can do dang near anything on your truck it may be time to farm that job out. That or try and find some axles for sale w/ the gears you want

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have done a lot of research on this. As far as installing them, I wouldn't do it yourself. If your gears fail due to installation, you may have to fight about that warranty. And, even if they did cover it, you don't want to be sitting disabled because your diff just grenaded. The going rate around here is about $300 per axle install. You might be able to find a mechanic in your area through here or a friend that would do it cheaper and let you help so you learn. That's what I am doing.

As far as where to buy, I shopped around a lot and found I got the best service and information from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com>Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion</a>. They really knew there stuff about which was best and what all you need (install kits and such). I just got a set of 4.56s, two install kits, and two Detroit Lockers from them last week.

Good luck!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i spent 13hrs. doing mine and the next week i spent 1300.00 to have them all redone, leave this to the experts!

6. gill

gill Registered Member

thanks alot for the info i think yall helped me make my mind up about what i want to do