Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.56 Gear question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB383, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

I am doing a SAS on my 98 Chevy k1500 and putting a dana 44 from a k5. I was reading somewhere that the carrier is too small to hold 4.56 gears. Is this true, and if so what do i have to do to get 4.56 gears into it? Thanks for all the help.....also why yall are reading this, what manual hubs do yall recomend?? Warn Premiums is what i think i am going to get replys on here.....

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on what gears are currently in the axle you choose the carrier break is 2.72-3.73's then a different carrier for 3.92-5.89's. Yes the Warn premiums are the best choice.

3. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

now what is this that i read somewhere about having thick cut gears...in the description it says it would work in the smaller carrier with the larger gear ratio

4. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

also is the only way to tell what ratio it has is by taking it out and reading on the ring?

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It will say 41-9 on the ring gear for 4.56s. Look in olde Gm trucks like 67-72 3/4 tons. Maybe even little older and newer, probly all years used 4.56s. I've seen the 67-72 gears in yards before, and a friends truck has 4.56s. There out there, just havta crawl around to find them.

6. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

I already have my axle and now i am just looking at all the stuff i am going to need to buy for it. I have 4.56 in the rear and now i need to do it to the front dana 44. I justed went out and looked at my ring gear that is in it now and it has a bunch of stuff but the number similar to the ones you where explaining are ........43-14. What gear/carrier ratio is this set up???

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is 3.07-3.08 the factory K5 gear.

Ira

8. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

So that means that it has the smaller carrier and will not be able to put 4.56 gears in it with out buying a new carrier? What do i need to go and buy to be able to put 4.56 gears into it?

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm positive that there are thick cut gears out there for D44's. There are a lot of places that you can get R & P's at. Randy's ring and pinion lists a thick cut ring gear for 4.56 for a dana 44 HERE

Rick

10. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

ok i am getting confussed here, Do i just need to order a thick gear, or buy a new carrier, or what???

11. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

You can order the thick gears to go on your stock carrier, or you can buy a carrier made for 3.92 and numerically higher gears and then buy your gears. :D

Rick

12. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

what would be the pros/cons of buying the thick gears. Also where would you buy the upper carrier at? I am thinking that the thick gears would be the cheaper way to do this.

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

from my understanding thick cut gears give you a smaller, potentially weaker pinion gear

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is not true the smaller pinion is a product of the higher numerically gears. The pinion is the same size regardless of thick or thin gears. A thick gear makes up for the pinion size by being "thick". The regular or thin gear makes up for the pinion size by moving the ring gear flange on the carrier closer to the pinion. To the original poster-If you can find a thick gear set for a Dana 44 that is usually the cheaper way to go cause you just have the price of gears rather than gears and a carrier.

If I have confused you with the pinion and gear explanation let me know and i will try to elaborate.

Ira

15. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

ok I understand it now, So there is nothing wrong with using the thick gears right? Also, like i said i am doing the SAS on my 98 K1500, do i need regular cut thick 4.56 gears, or reverse cut thick 4.56 gears? Thanks for the help guys

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I see you have a 44 from a K5 that will be passenger drop low pinion therefore you need regular cut gears.

Reverse cut are for High Pinion applications only.

Also you do realize that you will have to change your transfer case out as the one in your 98 is a drivers side drop.:o

Ira

17. TB383

TB383 Registered Member

yea i have a np241 passenger side. So if i get thick 4.56 gears, i am good to go?

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That depends on what the axle you are using came from.

Unless you are having this work done for you, you might want to spend some time reading up on the basics before starting this project.

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

As has been said several times now, yes.

But if you are going to add a traction ading device do it now and buy the normal gears.

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

His first post says it is from a K5. That with a passenger drop Tcase he should be OK. I would personally find a Driversdrop front axle and use that instead but it is his project:dunno: .

Ira